Hi, I like eating vegetables much more than meat. In fact, I think that I have slowly become a vegetarian. The only thing that worries me is that I am not eating enough proteins. I know that vegetables are not rich with proteins and that the proteins are important for my health. Is there a way for me to intake the required amount of proteins without eating meat?

Hi, proteins are very important for our health. They are constructed out of amino acids that our body uses as building blocks for cell reparation. Some of the amino acids our body can create on its own, but there are some that we can only get from food. These are called essential amino acids. It is true that meat and other animal product contain higher amounts of necessary proteins than vegetables. For instance, proteins from eggs have in their structure all of the essential amino acids. However, it does not mean that you can't get these molecules from vegetables. The thing is that different types of vegetables contain different proteins. In order to get all of the essential amino acids you have to combine a variety of vegetables in your meals. In fact, there is evidence that proteins from vegetables are healthier than the one's from the animal products. This is supported by the fact that the combination of vegetables, that provides the required amount of proteins, is richer in vitamins and microelements than the animal products that contain the same amount of proteins. So as long as your vegetarian diet is versatile you have nothing to worry about.