Hi! I have a question for you all! I am sure there must be someone here who knows about tyrosine? I heard about tyrosine when I was looking at a list of supplements that are recommended for bodybuilders. Would I be right in thinking that tyrosine is an amino acid? What are the side effects of taking tyrosine?

Hello vincent,

Tyrosine is a nonessential amino acid meaning it can be made in the body.   In terms of what you get from your diet it is safe.  If you take it as a supplement it is safe up to 150mg/kg daily for 3 months or so.  Side effects that have been reports include nausea, joint aches, fatigue, heartburn and headache.  It shouldn't be given to children nor women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.  You should know that tyrosine is used to  make the hormone thyroxine.  Excess amounts of thyroxine may generate hyperthyroidism.  Hope that helps.