Hello everyone,

I am kind of new to this depression thing. I mean, for quite some time I thought that there was something wrong but I wasn't sure what was it. I spoke to a good friend of mine who is a psychologist and she told me that I am suffering from depression (or at least she thinks so). I searched around the internet and I found a person saying that she treated her depression with vitamin supplements. Does any of you here know anything about this? If you think that this could help me, I will give it a try and see what happens.

Hi Guest,

I have to be honest with you, I am not completely sure that Vitamin supplements can help you out with depression. There have been numerous studies done in order to see if some herbs, supplements and Vitamins can help treat depression in people but the results are quite mixed. However, you can always give it a try and see if it works for you.

St. John’s wort is probably one of most known herb's used to treat depression. When it comes to Vitamins, Omega 3 oils, Vitamin B and Vitamin D are the ones considered to be helpful with treating depression.

I don't think so. I mean, they can probably help but not that much. I've heard already that some people use St. John’s wort to treat this and they all seem to be satisfied about it, but I've never heard that someone used Vitamins to treat depression, that kind of makes no sense to me.

I know that there are two teas used together in order to treat depression or anxiety. When these teas are mixed together, they make you calm and when used for a longer period of time, they can help treat these conditions. I know that one of these teas is Valerian tea, but I don't know about the other one.

Oh, okay, thank you very much. I was really hoping that this thing would be able to help me out since I am not really a person who wants to take medications, I don't even take them when I have a headache. I also heard that the medications for depression are not good at all, that they can make you act like a cold person, kind of take your emotions away from you, make you neither happy nor sad, you know what I mean?

I will look around for that St. John’s wort that you mentioned, and about other stuff as well.

Just focus on eating healthy food, Guest. Not fast food, but healthy food, you know. The studies showed that omega 3 oils seem to be good for treating depression so eating a lot of fish is recommended, I hope you like fish. Vitamins are important, you should definitely have a high intake of Vitamins a day but not only because of depression, but because of your entire body, they are important. You can try with this St. John's wort, I have also heard that it is being used a lot for treating depression. Good luck, I hope you will get better soon.

Hello everyone.

Sure you can. I mean, there are certain supplements and vitamins that can help you treat and deal with your depression.

Tyrosine is one of those supplements and I know this because I was using it one year ago. Tyrosine is one of the amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. The body makes tyrosine from another amino acid called phenylalanine. Tyrosine can also be found in dairy products, meats, fish, eggs, nuts, beans, oats, and wheat. So, if you really don't want to use supplements, you should try to find tyrosine in your food. That is good idea as well.

Hey there. Look, Hannah I really don't know why you are telling this. I think that there is nothing that can change a good, healthy and well - balanced eating. I understand that you were using those supplements, and that is OK, but why you haven't try to deal with it just with food? I mean, you said as well that this supplement that you were using you can find in certain products that you are eating every day? I think that this is the best, that this is the only good way - find those supplements in food and you will be better. I think that you should not use any medications...That is my opinion!

Dear friend, I am glad that you think like this. But there are certain people that just can't deal with depression without supplements and vitamins, and I think that you need to understand this. Of course, healthy eating and balanced eating plan are good idea, but anyway, you need to know that sometimes medications are more powerful than any grocery or product that you are eating. So, some people just can't want, that depression is killing them, it is bothering them, etc. That is why those medications exist. For example, I was not able to fight my depression just with good eating plan. That is why I was using medications, and I don't see nothing bad in that!

Ok, I won't argue with you. You didn't understand me, it seems to me. I didn't tell that supplements and vitamins are bad. Everything that I was telling is that eating proper food can help you. I know because I was dealing with depression for a while and when I started to eat good and healthy good, I was feeling much better. Also, it depends on what kind of depression you are dealing with. You can't heal those depressions at the same way. They might be similar, but they are different. So, again, I vote for some natural ways. Medications are not my choice.