I've had c5-c7 fusion with corpectormy, and recovered fairly quickly. The issue is that once you have a fusion, the vertabrae above and below try to compensate and can cause other problems. I'm going through pt for that now, and I think there may be another surgery in my future.

Barbara, thank you! Your post was so comforting, especially the last paragraph (for me: injuries from 2000 & just agreeing to surgery). Many people read this and do not respond, but please know that your posts have an impact on us ;) You ROCK!

This is right on in terms of acceptance and transformation, easily said but more difficult to do for some people based on my 25 years of working with chronic pain and spine patients.

Deeanna ~ Heartfelt thanks for your service & sharing what a positive spirit can do

I just found out I need the four level discectomy and fuson as well. He gave me (my doc) the option of the next monday or friday. This was Wednesday. Im scared im only a 45 yr old female. Im in so much pain everyday and unfortunately the neck is not my only area of problem. I have a l4 l5 break in 04. Can anyone tell me the quality of life post surgery? ? Please?

I also need quadruple cervical fusion. I was told that the surgery would not help relieve pain and may make it worse. When you have any fusion, the areas above & below have more pressure on them & future surgeries may be needed. I was told by 5 surgeons to have the surgery. The surgery could also cause paralysis. One neurologist told me if I can function not to have the surgery. I am terrified to have the surgery. I live by Chicago. I am 59 yr old female. And a retired nurse