I'm from Canada & cannot find this procedure offered here. I found the site for Stanton Schiffer, M.D. who practices at Western Neurosurgical Clinic in California. This procedure sounds so much better than traditional discectomy with fusion as it is minimally invasive and there is no loss in range of motion. I just wonder if it is just a temporary solution.

I don't have much pain associated with bulging (not herniated) discs from C5 to C7. The discs are putting pressure on my spinal cord causing loss of mobility on the right side hand arm & leg. Due to this restriction I have had many falls when I've tripped or lost my balance & was unable to react quickly enough to prevent the fall. The Chiropractor has helped somewhat with regaining my fine motor skills (writing, buttoning, etc). The neuro surgeon advised me to quit the chiropractor and says surgery is imminent & that another car accident or fall could cause me to be paralyzed from the neck down...I'm really scared!! I don't want major surgery that could leave me in alot of pain for the rest of my life. I also read somewhere on the net about artificial disc replacement surgery...can anyone help me with my questions & concerns?

The last post was mine but I hadn't registered yet...please respond to this post so I will receive it by email...thanks, Bev

I`m in the same situation!!
What did you end up doing? Traditional fusion or the Endoscopic Discectomy.
I`m concern about the loss of range of motion in my neck with traditional fusion, but also I don`t want to take a chance with something too new of a procedure....

Let me know please...I hope you feel better.

Thank you

Patty

I`m in the same situation!!

Thank you

Patty

I`m in the same situation!!

Thank you

Patty

I`m in the same situation!!

Thank you

Patty

Hi Patty

I had another consultation with a neurosurgeon in Michigan...he confirmed the urgency for surgery & said I'm partially paralyzed now! I'm waiting for a referral from a neurosurgeon in London, On. He was the 1st to perform artificial cervical disc replacement in N America in 2002. I'm not sure if I'm a candidate for that but whatever he has to do will be covered by my health care & I'd feel better having such a competent surgeon. I just hope there isn't any damage to my spinal cord & I will be back to normal after without any pain. How long have you had this problem & what have you done?

Hi
I had a fusion at C4/5 back in 2004. Recovery was easy, no pain at all and 100% recovery. Unfortunately now I have 3 more herniated discs, c3/4 c5/6 and c6/7 and two of these are pressing the spine. I don`t want to do another fusion because that with limit my range of motion a lot.
I`m looking into Endoscopic Discectomy to minimize the size of the surgery, scar tissue, muscle pain and etc.
Don`t wait to long for your surgery. I know it`s scary but keep in mind that you`ll probably walk out of surgery the day after on your legs!
Look into minimally invasive procedure. The less they cut, the faster the recovery will be.

Good luck

Patty

Hi Patty,

Thanks so much for yr reply and reassurance. The very reason you need more surgery now is why I don't want fusion & hope that I'm a candidate for artificial disc replacement surgery. I am still walking but much more slowly & awkwardly...and to think that just 1 1/2 ago I enjoyed running stairs & rollerblading for exercise. If I can't schedule surgery here soon, I will have the fusion done in Michigan sometime in January. Where did you go for surgery & who is your neurosugeon?

I had fusion with bovine graft and discectomy in Hamilton, Ont. about 8 yrs. ago. I had a ruptured disc at C7. The pain relief, recovery of my reflexes and 90 % improvement of the numbness in my arm and hand were immediate. To this day I only have a bit of numbness and tingling in the last 2 digits of my right hand. My recovery time was less than a month. I suffered much longer before the surgery. It was the best decision I ever made....

Hi try the cervical prosthesis it will preserve your mobility in tree planes Laterl Bending,Axial Rotation,Flexion Extension

Hey Amfchay, never heard of a cervical prosthesis...had my acdf surgery Jan/11 & still have balance & falling issues & must now use a walker. I'm willing to try it if it would correct my balance

did you ask your surgeon about it? im sure your surgeon know about it, it is a device intended to preserve the physiological mobility if the cervical functional spinal unit in anterior route. its more like an artificial disc.

I had an endoscopic decompression surgery on C4/5 and C6/7 at the Laser Spinal Institute. They opened me up on both sides of my neck (posterior) and removed osteophytes (bone spures), decompressed pinched nerves, and did a diskectomy. I can further help if you want more information.........

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

You should try the Laser Spine Institute-it has several locations in the United States. It offers Endoscopy surgery for both Cervical and Lumbar spine problems with a >95% success rate. Most patients have immediate surgical success and feel their pre-surgical symptoms gone the same day as surgery. The initial medical evaluation is free. The institute has been around for a long time. I am a cervical patient who had surgery with them. I did not want a cervical fusion and I am pleased to say my surgery was a success. Good Luck-you may chat with them online to get acquainted with them.