I am facing C3, C4 anterior discectomy w/ fusion in near future as a result of car accident ( got rear ended). Neuro surgeon has tried Rehab Dr. and has not jumped right into the "you need surgery" bit. We are now to the point that it has become a very real necessity. I am 46 yr old Male. My Dr. looked me in the eyes and said he will be able to help me. Concerned of course with complications as well as ADL's.

Had c3-c4 graph fusion metal plate screws done 3 years ago, about a year later same problem back, test showed c4-c5 had blown out now, Surgeon explained to me that when having fusion surgeries the disk above and below be come weak and can easily blow out, I have been toying with having the second surgery now for 2 years, afraid I will keep blowing out more disk and eventual the hole cervical spine will be fused and I wont be able to use neck, I live with left arm pain and knumbiness in my left 3 fingers constantly, my arm is deep with pain, my legs are gone, I also suffer with Degenerative Disk Disease in my midle and lower back, pain medications dont touch the pain levels. Try rehab and spinal epidural treatments would be my advise before going thru fusion. I would consider fusion my last resort if I had it all over to decide now.

Hi, I am 8 weeks out of my second surg. my frist acdf 4/5 was a breese, no pain at all from the time I woke up....7 yes later my second at 3/4 is still causing me pain. I am now trying moist heat and exercise. the choking sensation is slowly getting better, but my nurse told me that no two surgeries are the same, its like having a baby, everyone is different, I am just hoping that a little more time will help.

fusion is the last resort. Its designed to STOP further neurological deficit. Secondly, to stablize the spine where instability exists. Its not made to be as good as a new spine, or fun, its literally a life saving, or a procedure to keep you out of a wheel chair. When you say you would only consider it a last resort, that is exactly how and what it should be considered as. GOOD LUCK.

I am 3 months out from C3/C4 fusion. Above post is correct. Mine was done to prevent further damage to the spinal cord. Keep me from becoming a quadriplegic. What I had to understand was that I have still got a damaged spinal cord. The surgery did not and cannot repair that. Recovery will be lengthy and varied as to what all will eventually heal/come back etc.

You say that, "it's literally a life saving, or a procedure to keep you out of a wheel chair"... But Im terrified for so many reasons. I only just learned of the cause of my debilitating neck pain. But now I am losing my hands. Ive already had carpal tunnel release of both hands, and heading back in for a repeat asap, before my fusion (which i only learned that i needed, yesterday).
I was relieved, at first thinking that, "this means i don't have to hurt this bad" or, "I might not lose my hands after all".... Im a painted. I needed that hope more than i need to breathe......
but I'm so scared right now. It just doesn't seem very hopeful when its pretty obvious that I'd eventually need another, and another, and so on.... I mean, before actually needing another surgery, you'd be alerted to the necessity, by pain, I imagine... And not very far into recovery, either? Some of these stories are less than two years outside of the previous one. Seems to me you'd be recovering just in time to feel yourself slipping into disaster again......

can someone offer a brighter outlook? Is there hope? I mean, hope other than the stark reality of what lies ahead....

and honestly, if I'm not losing my ability to walk (yet... I am weak and poorly balanced.... but i can still 'walk"), is it maybe not worth the surgery at all? Is the end game post-surgery, worse than losing my ability to use a fine-detail paintbrush?
Mind you, thats ALL I want to do? It *IS* how I define "me"? ... I can't imagine not being able to do it when the urge should strike me, Nor can I sit idly by while I feel them dying a writhing painful death...

Thats enough whining.... sorry . have to quit typing now tho,
it hurts too much...

ill take all advice and thoughts tho