Surgery Procedure done: 2 Open Wound Hemorrhoidectomy for 2 external hemorrhoids and a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy for an anal fissure

Day of operation: Feb 13, 2014

9am - fleet enema for pre-surgery bm (bowel movement)

11am - actual operation under general anesthesia.

2pm - woke up after operation, minimal pain, partly due to internal dressing inside the rectum. After a meal (eaten small only, afraid of post-surgery bm) taken medication were Daflon 500mg, antibiotic and Tramadol. Sleep throughout the day, had dinner and medications and given stool softener. Stool softener made me want to pass gas but couldn't due to the internal dressing. Doctor advised to keep the dressing until the next morning before.

1st post-surgery day. The morning after the operation, breakfast and meds taken, still no bm but feeling of wanting to pass gas. The internal dressing was removed, extremely painful when pulled out, felt like the original pain due to the fissure after bm before surgery. Doc was satisfied upon checking and I was given approval to go home. The pain lasted for 30 mins or so, I crumpled to my side and toughen it out. Eventually the pain disappeared completely. Before being discharged, a nurse helped me with a sitz bath of warm water with sitz bath. I was expecting pain from the actual Hemorrhoidectomy wound, but surprisingly, still haven't felt any pain. The sitz bath was very relieving. After 10 to 20 mins or so, I wiped myself clean; the tissue was bloody of course so was the sitz bath water but still no pain. Was able to walk, but very slowly as to not aggravate any wound. I was taken home, had a hearty dinner, taken meds and stool softer and LOTS of water. Taken a warm bath, still wasn't able to have a bm, but was passing a lot of gas after due to the stool softener. Slept without pain, placed a diaper within underwear for any blood or discharge. Kept drinking water, a glass every 30 mins or so till I dosed off.

I’m really concerned with the pain, which apart from when the dressing was pulled out was still quite minimal. There were minor stings every now and then when I cleaned the wound where the hemorrhoids were. I’m not sure if it’s due to the effects of Tramadol or because I haven't had a post-surgery bm yet. Tomorrow morning after breakfast, I’m expecting a bm and the pain along with it. I expect that it will be comparable to pain when the dressing was pulled out, so Tramadol first before that.

2nd day. Still no significant pain. Still no urge for a bm. during shower, I sprayed my bottom with warm water from the detachable shower head and soap to keep the wound clean even without a bm, which slightly burned the wound which is normal for all wounds. Drank a lot of water during the day. Drank fiber supplements along with the stool softener and meds before going to bed.

3rd day. After drinking a glass of warm milk after getting out of bed at 8am, I had my first strong urge for a bm. I hastily took the meds and Tramadol before going to the toilet, dreading the extreme pain that I'd been reading in all the forums I'd been through. There's already a slight tingling from the wounds from the couple of excised hemorrhoids, but I was more concerned with the wound inside the rectum from the Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy. the first few blobs of small soft stools came out, felt no pain and they came out rather smoothly. Then, a lot came out all out once steadily and smoothly. it immediately accompanied by pain, which the best I can describe was the same pain when the internal dressing was removed by my doctor, but I have to say only half the intensity. The pain was significantly far less than what I was having before the operation, and I thanked God for that. There wasn't any muscled spasms also, but since the pain has overridden the bm urge feeling, I got off the toilet and cleaned using the warm/hot water from the shower head. Major relief! It was like the pain was being washed away by the warm water. My butt cheeks and legs where still shaking though as this has been the first real pain I'd felt for while. I cleaned the area with soap, took a bath also, and the pain subsided steadily and by the time I'm drying myself, it was completely gone, except for some mild tingling every now and then. And I have to say, I'm not dreading another bm. I'm not sure if its due to the painkillers kicking in at the right moment, but just in case i'll be sure to take the Tramadol before a bm. Drank fiber supplement and stool softener before going to bed.

4th day. Woke up and had a couple glass of warm milk with the meds, and then came the urge to have a bm. The pain after bm has lessen its intensity compared to yesterday. Unfortunately though, the milk gave me a bout of LBM (loose bowel syndrome), and after the first bm came a couple of bm's more. By this time, I'm already pretty used to the pain. I haven't eaten anything solid yet, so my concern then was to fix the LBM. After lunch, another bm, then I took loperamide. I know loperamide could give me constipation but I figured the stool softener will counteract it and my stools were liquid already anyway and could use a little solidifying.

5th day. Didn't ate much yesterday to warrant a bm. Spent the rest of the day at rest. Had pizza for dinner, drank fiber suppliments and stool softener.

6th day. BM was terrible! Stool was soft enough for the normal standard, but not soft enough for my recovering anus! Took me three bm's during the whole day to completely empty my bowel, and after each bm came pain, and longer hot water shower to ease of the pain. I upped the dosage of the stool softener and stopped taking fiber suppliments. I figured the fiber was making increasing the bulk of the stool and if insufficient water was taken, it won't have the prefered watery consistency which was less painful.

7th day. Next bm, as predicted, was liquid and less painful that was quickly washed away by hot water. I'm still during 20 mins sitz bath after each bm and before shower which was at least 3 times a day since after the surgery. There was still discharge, the anus was still always wet, which according to doc is to be expected.

9th day. Follow-up check-up with doc. Went to the hospital early in the morning, doc checked the wound area. Told me that the wound was clean, no infection and swelling, and seems to be healing quite nicely. He no longer prescribe any antibiotic and Daflon, asked me if I could manage without pain killers and since the pain was far from before the surgery I said no. He did however advised that I need to maintain a very soft stool thus stool softener was prescribe just in case the current stock ran out. Next appointment in 2 weeks time (3rd week post-surgery).

13th day. Had a bm, the pain has been replaced by slight discomfort. There's still some dischard, but I don't see blood anymore. Still taking stool softener after each meal, vitamins supplements and 1000mg vitamin C.

14th day. I was able to sit in any cushion seat without any pain nor discomfort. I managed to work at home sitting in the bed. Again stool was maintained to a liquid consistency for painless bm.

Next update soon.

I am so glad you are doing well. I had an easy recovery too. After a week, I went off the Tramacet (Tramadol and Tylenol) and went on Tylenol and that took care of any discomfort I had. Amazingly, I never had any severe pain and the only pain at maybe a level 2 to 3, was at the start of my bms for the first 3 weeks. I am now 7 weeks post-op and hav been off pain meds since the end of the third week. I am still taking stool softeners, Benefiber and Miralax. My doctor, which I saw yesterday for my only post-op follow up, told me to continue taking this because it can take up to six months to completely heal. He did check things out and said I was healing very well (my three incisions were stitched closed aside from a very small area that was left open for drainage). I am totally back to my normal routine and have been since the beginning of week 4. I hope that you continue to have a good recovery.

I'm very happy for you too Danni3ll3.

I've been browsing through forums before my surgery and all I read about was the hellish pain during recovery. Made me really think if the pain's gonna be worth it. And it was! 

I'm on my 18th day post-recovery, and I'm still not doing any rigorous activity or heavy lifting yet, although the pain after bm has completely gone now. The important thing really is to keep those stools very soft.

The experience has completely changed my diet. I'm eating more fruits and vegetables now. I'm completely off carbonated drinks, and keeping processed food and coffee to the minimum if couldn't be helped. And lots and lots of water. I lost 5 kg too since the surgery.

It's nice to share a positive experience to give hope to people.

Good luck to your full recovery!

I'm very happy for you too Danni3ll3.

I'm on my 18th day post-recovery, and I'm still not doing any rigorous activity or heavy lifting yet, although the pain after bm has completely gone now. The important thing really is to keep those stools very soft.

Good luck to your full recovery!

Thank you for sharing. Will follow your advice, strictly.

Cheese and milk are usually a bad idea.