For all those worrying about hemorrhoid surgery, this is my experience. I had a hemorrhoidectomy 2 days ago. I had one internal grade 4 hemmie and 3 external grade 4 hemmies removed. The doctor put a pain block in my anus as I was put into a light twilight sleep. I was concious of what was going on but didn't have any pain or much recollection of the goings on in the O.R. The surgery only lasted about 40 minutes.

I was sent home with Lortab 5/325 and didn't really have a great deal of pain when I left the hospital. The pain came on gradually during the day and it felt like I got impaled. I took my meds and sat in sitz baths several times and spent the rest of the day in bed or laying on the couch. The next day, I wasn't in much pain but I was very gassy. I felt the pressure building in my rectum telling me that poop time was close at hand. After several attempts of pooping in the sitz bath failed, I become more frustrated. The Lortab constipated me despite drinking lots of water and taking a laxative and stool softeners. It felt like I had a baseball lodged in my lower rectum. After 3 failed attempts, I finally decided to push this thing out and was successful. It wasn't painful but the pressure was beyond intense.

After exploding in the sitz bath, I had a sigh of relief and was physically exhausted. After I got cleaned up is when the pain really kicked in. My rectum and anus felt like it was stuffed with razor blades. I had two more poops that day and completely emtied out my colon. I was still extemely gassy and in pain but felt such a sigh of relief.

I got through the worst part of the experience and each poop now will be easier. The pain does get better as time goes on and considering this is only day the beginning of day 3, I consider myself pretty lucky. I stopped taking the Lortab and now take 600 mg of ibuprofen 2-3 times per day. I consider myself pretty lucky becuase my doctor said I will have severe post op pain for 2 weeks. This is only my 3rd day post op and my pain is not bad at all and is under control with OTC pain relievers.

For anyone frightened about having this surgery, it is extremely important that you use a board certified colorectal surgeon and not a general surgeon. They do this type of surgery all the time and will make a big difference in the quality of the surgery and your pain management. I hope my experience helps for those considering this surgery. There will be highs and lows but overall, it's not anywhere near as bad as what I thought it would be.

I  had two internals removed 4 days ago.   It was done out patient, so after two hours I was walked out of the hospital,  here's a paper telling you how to take care of yourself and lidocaine.   The first day wasn't  bad at all,  when anesthesia wore off it was uncomfortable and sore,  but livable with no meds.   The next day I was out doors walking around picking up small stones,  still no pain meds,  just a bit uncomfortable.  Third day a little sorer,  maybe overdid the walking.   Today,  first bm.  All I can say is HOLY F%@#ING S#&T!  It hurt so bad I couldn't scream or cry and it was just a small bit.   Five minutes after I  could only lay down and cry,  I spent the next 40 mins trying to walk the shock off!   Yes,  I have been taking stool softeners and fibercon every day.   It was absolutely the WORSE pain I have ever felt,  including labor pains,  delivery,  and kidney stones.  I went a little more tonight,  not as extreme,  but dear God,  extremely painful.  Baths don't help.   Lidocaine does nothing.   I use tucks wipes and lidocaine,  and sometimes prep h cream.   I  am reading my next bm.  I  have thought about a few shots of whiskey.   Any suggestions would be most helpful!   Thanks in advance. 

DON’T sit on the loo. Half stand and bend over. If you miss or make a mess, so be it, but you will find it pops out without so much pain.