After reading posts to keep my sanity, I've opted to write in to tell my story, but also seeking solace.

I had my surgery 4 weeks ago today. After the surgery my doctor told me she removed 3 internal hemorrhoids (she said the largest she has EVER seen - glad I could raise the bar.), 1 external, and performed a sphincterotomy to support internal healing. She said I was one of the worst cases she's seen. I stayed one night in the hospital, could not void on my own and was catheterized on two occasions over the coure of the first week. I can now go on my own...Phew!

After reading the several posts, I believe my recovery is going well considering (I was the worst case, afterall). I'd love to hear others input on my recovery and if you are having similar experiences as this stage:
- very light headed and fatigued still
- painful bm's with pain following for about 2 hours. I still have anxiety leading up to the morning bm.
- once pain medication kicks in after bm (Tramadol), I'm able to have a somewhat normal day other than the weakness
- very watchful of what I eat. High fiber only! I do not have it down yet - it's changes day to day.
- I returned to work on the 3rd week - big mistake! Not at all ready. I'm now working from home and plan to until week 6 (2 more weeks). I simply can't imagine going into the office after my morning bm. When does this ease up??
- still have many tags and swelling

Overall, I believe this must be on track. How much longer though? I need to return to my routine at work, caring for my 4 year old, etc. soon. My current schedule is not sustainable. Tell me this will get better each week.

Thanks for reading my story. I'm eager to receive your input.

Hi, I had my surgery yesterday! I suffer from intense pain and have to take pain medication every 4 hours. Haven't has a BM yet, dread it... Was hoping to get some advice online.. from people like you who underwent this as well. I can totally relate to your pain. I had 2 external hemorrhoids and a pretty intense anal fissure. I have no idea what was done during the surgery but it hurts like crazy as of now. Hopefully I made the right decision by getting it operated. I have to resume work 2 weeks from now. Cant afford to take days off. Might lose my job... I might not be the right person to answer your questions yet, you seem to be at an advanced stage as compared to me. But was hoping to receive some advice on day-to-day habits that can help me have a speedy and painless recovery.

Hope you get better soon as well...

Hello
I am so glad you have both shared your experiences. I had haemorrhoid injections 2 months ago and was then diagnosed with a fissure and had a sphincterotomy a week ago.
I had thought that I was gradually improving but today I had 2 bms, the second gave me such terrible pain and muscle spasm that I just lay on the floor and cried! The surgeon told me I'd be ok in a week but obviously I am not...I have the same worries about how long it will take to get back to normal, I'm so fed up and have had loads of time off work too.
It seems like your situations are worse than mine, I really hope it gradually improves for you. At least we know that it does take time - everyone is different I guess. I've read that it can take anything from 2 weeks to 2 months...

What are bm's?

bm is a bowel movement.

i just had a sphincterotomy after a failed fissurectomy a few months ago. i had it two days ago and was ok til i had to take Dulcolax today cause i hadn't had a bm yet. INCREDIBILY painful. had two bms 6 hours ago and am still in alot of pain.percoset is not working in the least bit. and i definitely have been pretty lightheaded. almost passed out during the first bm. last surgery i was able to go back to work a few days after, and now hearing all of your stories i'm scared that it will be really long. i'm only 23 and was/am terrified b/c they said there was a 10% chance of becoming incontinent from the surgery. so far so good, but has anyone had any trouble with this?

Ask your doc if you can take Miralax for a couple of days straight. I did it for seven days. Of all the stool softeners my doc specifically told me to take this one because it does not have all of the side effects of the other over the counter like bloating. He also had me take metamucile 2 times a day. That kept it all soft and smooth sailing so to speak. The BM's were less painful. Good Luck!

I am so glad to read all your responses. I was beginning to wonder if I was just being a big baby! The doc said I would be okay in a week, but so far I return to work tomorrow and have no idea how I can. I had a sphyncterotomy last wednesday and had the same light headedness and the bm's that make you want to pass out! The first one after surgery can only be described as what being struck by lightening must feel like. I will try the metamucil, thanks! I have to say I have had a lot of surgeries but this was the most painful yet, yuk!

I too had a sphincterotomy... I actually had mine July 30 and was also told that I would be ok in 5 to 7 days. Today is September 24th and I am still in the recovery stages. I ended up having an infection that had to be drained and when I tell you it was PAINFUL thats exactly what I mean. The doctor litterally cut a whole the size of a dime in my butt cheek to allow the puss to drain.

I have to admitt I am better but nowhere near where I expected to be by now. There is no way even at this point that I could imagine going to work. This has beem an EXTREMELY painful process and I am just glad it seems as if I am getting slightly better every week. I look forward to getting on with my life.

FYI:
I do believe in Miralax :-D

PS
Keep your head up and know that we are all dealing with the same pain... Keep the faith!! We will all be better soon!!

I had a sphincterotomy last Thursday, my surgeon sent me home with no pain meds, said take Tylenol and that I could return to normal work the following day. I was up all night in pain that tylenol could not touch. I returned to work on Monday, but I am in a lot of pain after every bm. I am glad to hear that this is a normal experience for others, although I hate it for everyone. Between that though I do not have the regular fissure pain I was experiencing, so I am hoping that it is healing up and will heal before the muscle does. I do not want to go through the pain and humiliation of surgery again. I was told I would be twilight sedated, but was hardly sedated, felt every shot into my bottom for the locals, and in severe pain after surgery and overnight.

Hi. I also had a sphincterotomy and botox treatment for a fissure, but they didn't do the haemmoroids. This was 3 weeks ago, and I have to say, the first BM was like giving birth to a pineapple. I must have sat for an hour with a huge 3 day stool stuck between in and out, too sore too push out and a botoxed sphincter not allowing to nip it back in.

The next few BMs varied from smooth sailing (lots of blood, maybe a couple of hours pain after) to downright agony.

Lots of scar fluid, mucous etc, but after 3 weeks, its now down to a minor itch, and a bit of 'nappy rash' from the mucous, whic is rapidly getting less as everything heals.

I did find drinking loads of water (over 2 litres a day) really helped me go easier in the mornings, and when I forgot, I really suffered.

ANohter week and I'll be attempting a bike ride.

thanks for sharing and I hope this helps anyone dreading it. o.O

I am having surgery on 10/29/09. I am worried after hearing all of this. I have been in pain for years but cannot take it any more. It is like when you have a BM you are passing glass. I have internal and external hemorroids and a deep fissure. I am supposed to have a lateral sphincterotomy and a hemorroidectomy. I already cannot sleep from the pain and hopefully it won't be any worse than what I have been going through already. I cry when I have a BM and am in pain for hours and try to hold it in if I feel I need to go again.

I was told that it would take from 3 weeks to 2 months to feel better. I have been in pain since I have had my daughter and she is 9 years old. Hopefully I can make it through the recovery. I am really nervous.

I hope you all feel better and have a speedy recovery.

I was having a really bad time with a anal fissure. At the time I thought it was just a hmorroid or two. It was just once a month the pain would flair up. And when it did, it was unbareable. I called a local colon rectal surgeon here and set up a appointment. Upon inspection, he told me I had a cluster of internal hemorroids and a fissure that on a scale of 1 to 10 was a 9. The fissure was what was causing all my pain. He told me that he was going to do a hemorroidectomy and a sphincterotomy. Said in two weeks I would be soooo much better. I set the date. Did the surgery on Sept. 29th 09. Its Oct. 30th 09. And I wish I had done my homework better than what I did. Im worse now, a month later that when I walked in his office. If I stand to long, I feel like Im pulling apart. Im assuming its where the internal hemorroids were removed. When I went back after two weeks for a checkup, he said I had a large angry fissure. I thought yea right. Its well past angry. I dread a bowel movment. Feels like Im being tore apart. Im lucky enough to have short term and long term disability insurance. And my job will be covered under FMLA. If I had it to do over again, I wouldnt do it. I hope that one day it will get better. Im praying. LWP67

I had my surgery on the 29th of October and I was supposed to have the spincterotomy and the hemorroidectomy, but they only did the sphincterectomy and they had to stitch the two large fissures that I had. She said that the fissures were not where they normally would be and she decided not to do the hemorroidectomy at that time. She said that there may be some underlying inflamatory disease that may be causing the hemorroids and fissures, so she wanted to do a colonoscopy before she did the hemorroids. I had a colonoscopy in 2007 but she want to check to see if there is something else going on first.

I am not in too much pain right now, but dred if I have to go through the hemorroidectomy in the future. She said that the sphincterotomy may help with the hemorroids. I just hope that I don't have anything serious going on. Have been in pain and going through this since the early 90's. Just has been getting worse and worse.

I thought that I was a complete whimp with the pain, but I haven't had a bm yet so I may be at that. The doctor was surprised that I went through this for as long as I did without haveing it taken care of. I guess I was just scared and still am.

I hope that you all get well and are feeling better soon.

Well, it has been over a week since my surgery for fissures and sphincterotomy and I said that I was not in too much pain. I was probably still numb, because a couple of days later, I was in so much pain that I was shaking. I was given medicine, but I became ill from most of it and tried to get by with just ibuprophin. Didn't touch the pain. My blood pressure has been up so high that I called my doctor and he said that I had to call the surgeon and she told me to call my doctor.
When I am in pain, my blood pressure has been 185/111 and after I take the pain medication, a couple of hours later, it goes down to 134/85. I am on blood pressure medicine also, that I take before I go to bed and I can't understand why when I first wake up, that it is so high.
It's either take the medicine and get ill, or have my blood pressure stay up and have worse problems. I have to take care of my daughter and I can't just lay around all day. I can't stand just sitting around. My house has been a mess and I get up and try to clean, but it just starts throbbing. My dog still needs to go for a walk, so I guess that it is going to take me a little more time to heal, since I won't stay down.

I have been sitting on ice and a heating pad. The heating pad has been my best friend. I don't know if it is the right thing, but it sure helps the pain and relaxes me. At least it helps for me.

I have an appointment with my doctor about my blood pressure and hopefully I can get this under control soon.

I know that this probably doesn't help anyone, but it helps me to know that there is other people out there who know's what I am going through. I am not alone and should not be ashamed.

Thanks for all your information on the subject that seems to be unspeakable in other places

Sounds like a few of you need some words of encouragement. I know I did after my surgery. I had issues with very painful anal fissures for several years. I tried everything - sitz baths, nitroglycerin ointment, lidocaine, and botox injections. None of them corrected the problem more than temporarily. I even spoke to a general surgeon who recommended an anal dilation, which I have read is not currently recommended by most colorectal surgeons. So I found a colorectal surgeon and had the surgery on September 18th of this year. He did the sphincterotomy (LIS), fissurectomy, removed a internal hemorrhoid and a skin tag. It was outpatient surgery, but I had terrible pain after the initial pain killers wore off. I was prescribed 7.5 mg of percoset, but it didn't touch the pain. I went into the ER the following night and was later admitted. They determined my problem was urine retention - and I am sure I was constipated. I had a 3 catheters put in over the course of two weeks. Finally after two week I was doing better and having regular bowel movements (still with a little blood). The BM's were painful at first but got much better. I was told I could return to work a week after the surgery, but did not return fully till about 3 weeks after surgery. I sit all day so it was painful. I am now 7 weeks out and doing much better. My activities have returned to almost normal (I am trying to keep up with my 18 month old son). I have little to no pain at bm's, but a little pain a couple hours later which I am not sure what the cause is. (I have a bm around 6 in the morning, have some discomfort around 9-11, but after noon I am golden.) It gets better every week. So my words of encouragement would be - Yeah, you are going to go through hell, or are going through hell currently, but its going to get better - a lot better. Its a wonderful thing to have bm and pass gas with no pain. My recommendations - doculax laxative (not the stool softener) for a couple weeks after surgery to counteract constipation caused by the narcotics, miralax (take both doculax and miralax at night for morning bm), drink Citrucel (Metamucil gave me too much gas, which was painful) 2x daily, lots of water, and finally 2 heaping bowels of Raisin Brand in the morning. I still do the Citrucel, water, and Raisin Brand - its now my regular routine. So hang in there, stick to the routine, and thank the folks who support you. - Brian