Less than one week after surgery to remove a nasty hemrrorrhoid the stitches, about 8 or so, were ripped out with the first BM. Much pain and blood. I have IBS. Uu Doc says no big deal, however I now have an open wound that is a gapping hole right next to the anus that has rough jagged edges afrom where the stitches were! I have a raw gapping hole where the blood vessel was tied off. I was not told much about the process, given nothing for pain and did not ask for time off from work, so felt like a dunce when I could not go to work for 4 days. I am worried, frustrated and angry about all of this and the way it was handled. I am not sure what to do next. No need for any follow up visit either, according to the Dr. I still am sitting gingerly! Doing sitz baths and Tylenol, fiber, stool softener, careful diet. Cannot sleep well cuz it hurts. I am now in my 2 nd week and miserable. Any suggestions?

Hello bummer1.... I am sorry to hear about all the pain and misery you are experiencing with the hemorrhoidectomy.  I know of a few people who has had this type of surgery and it is about of month of agony, especially when having a bowel movement.  I believe your wound should heal up and the "hole" will close.  If you are still having problems after 30 days, you should follow up with the doctor.  Good luck!

Has any other forum readers ever had hemorrhoid surgery?  What was your experience? How long was it before you would say the pain subsided?

I would ask doc if you can start "piggybacking" Tylenol and Motrin for pain(take 1000mg Tylenol, 4hr later 600mg Motrin, 4hr later 1000mg Tylenol, 4hr later 600mg Motrin, etc.) My wound started to heal much faster when I started letting it air out (lying on a towel bottomless) for at least 1 hour a day.

I'm in my third week after the operation. It is only 3 days since I am able to live with the occasional pain, till 3 days ago it was a 24hour a day hell. Now I experience itchiness all the time, but am happy about it since it means the healing is on, pain during BM is still very much there, laxatives are a must. Hot water as often as possible and immediately after every BM. Still plenty discharge/ drainage. Hope this will come to an end too.