Hello everyone. I just this surgery done 2 days ago, and the recovery is going really well. I just had my first bowel movement ( about 48 hours after surgery) after which I was able to go for a 45 minute walk outside.

Facts about myself and the surgery:

-25 year old male, 183 pounds, pretty damn healthy.

-Have had hemorrhoid for about 7 years and anal fissure for about 2-3 years.

-Doctor performed both the LIS and the hemmerhoidectomy           -There is research that states that if you have the LIS performed along with the hemmerhoidectomy               the pain you will feel from the surgery will be much less. Search spinceterotomy and              hemmerhoidectomy in google scholar to read the research.

-The surgery was performed under general anesthesia (I was totally out, with a breathing tube). (if you are having the LIS done, this is really the only way to go because of how the healing process works).

-Doctor also gave me local anesthesia into my anus. The local anesthesia started wearing off about 6-8 hours after the surgery.

-The man that did the surgery was a general surgeon. I made sure that he had experience doing these kinds of surgeries personally and I also asked him if he had ever had any kind of complications associated with the surgery. He told me that pain was really the only complication he has ever run across.

-Doctor removed three hemorrhoids. One big one, and 2 smaller ones. Not sure if any of them had blood clots in them. 

-I was able to pee about 3-4 hours after surgery.

-Before the surgery I ate a pound of meat. I would recommend a couple of days before the surgery to only start eating vegetables, fruit, and soft fish. Dont eat the meat like i did.  I think this will make the first bowel movement easier. 

The day after the surgery my pain was about a 3-5. I would lounge around, read books, watch movies, and sit in a warm bath tub about 5-10 times a day. There is a piece of cloth that is placed in your anus after the surgery. I took this out in the bath tub, by gently tugging on it here and there. It came out pretty easily. Be gentle with yourself. The cloth is there to prevent blood leakage, I believe. 

Below will be a list of medicine that has helped me:            -Hydrocodone (for pain). If you can, dont take too many. This will make you feel constipated.                    -I took 4 5mg tabs the first day and three the second day. If the pain is quite unbearable                      then do what you need to do.             -Valium 5mg for the muscle spasms in your anus make sure you get this, this will make you feel a lot               better. Take this before and after a BM.            -Stool softener (i have Phillips brand). I would take about 8 of these a day. These cant hurt you,               they can only make you stool softer. I would pop these like candy. The softer the stool the better.              I do not believe stool softeners will give you diarrhea.              -Anti Gas pills (the gas can be uncomfortable). I would fart in the warm bath tub with my body in                          various positions so that it would not be too painful.             -Milk of magnesia (works well) I took two table spoons this morning and had a bowel movement                8 hours later.           - Magnesium the powder kind. This is a laxative if you take too much. If took a quarter of a tea             spoon on night one and i took a full teaspoon one morning 2. If you take more than two               teaspoons, you will have diarrhea. Be careful with this, but in the right quantity it is quite useful. 

The food that I ate:I ate mainly vegetables that were lightly fried in butter. Broccolli, spinach, cauliflower, etc. Vegetables are great for bulk and for fiber. I also had some fish soup. I would recommend eating vegetables, whether raw or cooked. Fruit is good, too. This will make your stool a very good consistency. I would also drink a ton of water. Probably 10-12 of the 500 ml bottles a day (if not more).

The way I handled my bowel movement:

First, I tried to get into the squat poop position with my clothes on. Youtube it to see what it looks like. See how you feel in this position. Get comfortable in this position. I felt a lot less pressure on my anus so I knew that this would be the right position to be in when i go poop. 

I did not use the throne toilet to poop. I got a bowl and put it in the shower. I then squat pooped into the bowl. This is the more natural way of doing it, and I read on this forum that this decreases the pain of the BM anywhere from 70% to 90%. I would say the pain during the bowel movement was a 4-5 on the 1-10 scale. Quite bearable and I did not have to push too much. I pushed once at the beginning and then it just went all by itself after that. I also stood up and stretched my legs mid poop. Do what you gotta do.  I did the BM without the percocet in my system, but I was on valium. Type this into Youtube: "Constipation Pooping Positions" and watch the video by the user jinithomson to get a sense of the various different pooping positions you can try. I would totally recommend doing the squat poop in the shower. After the poop, I emptied the bowl of feces into the toilet and I washed my anus with the shower head. I then turned on the bath tub, put in some warm water, and laid there for about 10 mins. After that, I took a percocet and another valium. There was a throbing pain, about a 6 on the scale until the percocet started kicking in. I then decided i would go for a walk with my mother with me. Being outside is great, if you can manage it. It takes your mind of things, plus you heal faster in nature. Touch trees and walk barefoot on the grass if you can, it will help. 

I plan on doing the squat poop method for the next 1-2 weeks. Be gentle on yourself, we are all people. Do what you need to do so that you feel good. 

Now, please remember that most of the people who have good experiences will probably not post a review. Therefore, please do not let all of the negative experiences discourage you from getting the surgery. Yes, there are painful cases, but you will not be one of those. Get a good surgeon, ask him questions that are relevant (have you done this surgery before? how many times? any complaint or complications? etc). Make sure you ask these questions of your doctor. If your doctor has never done this surgery before, go to another surgeon. Trust your surgeon, if you do not trust him/her, go to another one.  Also, remember, that you are unique. Pay attention to your body, pay attention to how YOU feel after the surgery. Forget all of these crazy reviews. You will not have this happen to you. You will be the person that gets through the surgery with minimal pain, and you will heal incredibly fast. Do not run from the pain, do not curse the pain. This is important. Love the pain, be grateful for the pain, embrace the pain, and you will heal faster. Think of things you are grateful for, and you will feel better. Also, imagine that you are being protected. Close your eyes and imagine that there are people, your tribe, protecting you and waiting you to get better. They know you will get better, and they are holding down the space to allow you to get better. The only thing on their mind and on your mind is that you are getting better, that you are incredibly resilient, and that you are strong. They love you and you love them. You love every thought that comes into your head, and you are grateful for this experience. If you cannot imagine a family member doing this for you, imagine me doing it for you and other forum members doing it for you. My name is Ellis and I am protecting you and I know you will heal. I know you will heal, I love you, and I know you are strong. 

Also, my mother helped me by bringing me some water and things from the store during all of this. I am very grateful for her help. 

Everything will be ok, you are resilient, strong, healthy, and I love you and I am watching out for you.Ellis. 

Also, I drank about 4 ounces of prune juice in the morning and about 4 ounces in the afternoon so that I would not be constipated. This was my goal, to have a smooth bowel movement.Another medication i used is Lidocaine gel. I put on a latex glove, squeezed out a generous amount, and applied it to my anus after the first bowel movement. It felt pretty good. Ellis.

Before I went to sleep last night, I took a valium. Woke up about 7 hours later with pressure in my anus. I knew I had to go. I got into the shower, and took a poop. This one was smaller than the first one, and there was not nearly as much blood. Right after the bowel movement I took one percocet and one valium. I then rinsed the area with the shower hose. I did not use any toilet paper. About an hour after I took the pills, they kicked in and everything felt good. I sauteed some vegetables (7-9 cups) in some butter and also had about 4 ounces of prune juice. I also took an anti gas pill as well as two stool softeners. Right now, my back side is a little sore, about a 3 on the pain level. I am also drinking a ton of water. I plan to go for a walk in about an hour as it is raining right now. 

Had another bowel movement. I took a valium, 5mg about 2 hours prior to this one. The bowel movement was diarrhea. This tells me that the prunce juice works quite well. I would recommend it in very small quantities (maybe a shot or two) after the first BM, if that. I handled this bowel movement by standing over the toilet as if i was riding a horse. I cleaned up the area later. Right after the bowel movement, i took a percocet and a drank 500ml of water. Then I got into the bath and hung out there for about 20 minutes. The pain level during the bowel movement was a 3 on a 1-10 scale. Now that the percocet has kicked in, the pain is at a one and I am going to go for a walk in about 10 minutes.I ate salmon and a ton of vegetables today. I intend to continue eating vegetables, I will stop with the prune juice, and I will take two stool softeners a day. Ellis

Woke up today. The pain is about a 2. I have no valium or percocet in my system currently. I am realizing that you cannot drink too much water after this surgery. Drink a lot of water, have water in your bathroom, in your bedroom, anywhere you are spending time.I did not go for a walk yesterday, as I decided to just watch a movie. I am planning on going for a walk today. Also, I intend to have another smooth bowel movement today. Ellis.

Had another bowel movement about 1.5 hours. It was diarrhea again. I handled the bowel movement by standing over the toiler like riding a horse. Pain of bowel movement = 2-3. Not sure why there was diarrhea. I will be introducing more meats and fish into my diet now to give it more bulk. Will decrease the stool softeners to 1 a day, as well. After the bowel movement i took a valium and percocet, washed myself in the shower (i did not use toilet paper) and then I lounged in the bath for about 20-30 minutes. Making food now, after which i will go for a walk. Ellis

Went for a mile walk. The walk was good. I felt a little sore in my back side, but, walking felt even better. During the walk the pain level was a 2. However, on the way back, I started getting gas and it felt like I had to go...NOW. I was about .5 miles from the house so I called my mother to do an emergency drive away :). I got home, and had a bowel movement. Not much came out. Once again, the BM technique was riding the horse. The pain was not bad at all, I had no percocet or valium in my system. The bowel movement lasted for about a minute, at most. After which, I rinsed off in the shower (no tp still) and then took a 20 minute bath. The food I ate today=about 10-12 cups of vegetables (lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli) as well as 2 tomatoes and two large cucumbers, 10 ounces of white fish sauteed in grass fed butter. And I drank a ton of water and a couple of cans of v8.

I am still a little confused as to why I am having diarrhea? Maybe the V8 is causing it? Not sure.

Also, it it did get confusing today after the BM when I tried to pass gas and some stool came out. No big deal, jump in the shower, and wash off. Also, my stomach feels a little bloated, probably because of all of the vegetables I ate today. I do not feel the need for a BM, currently.

My plan for tomorrow is to have a soft, but not watery BM and have the swelling subside.

During the whole day, I took one valium and once percocet. I intend to take another valium before I go to sleep.

Had another bowel movement about 1.5 hours since the last one. This one was a 3-4 on the pain scale. There was more mass to this one and there was some blood. There was also quite a bit of gas. I think i need to either decrease my vegetable intake (as too much vegetables gives me gas) and/or start eating rice.After the bowel movement, i took a valium and a percocet, drank half a liter of water, took a shower to wash off, then took another bath. Tomorrow my plan is to have a fuller bowel movement by eating rice, going for a longer walk, and basically enjoying my day.

Woke up today after about 8 hours of sleep. I had a percocet and a valium in my system before i went to sleep. I slept well, did not wake up once, and I am feeling refreshed. The pain in my anus is minimal, about a 1-2. It feels like it has subsided quite a bit. I also do not feel as gassy as I did yesterday. I think gas and internal pressure is one of the things that cause pain when it comes to the surgery, so eat food that minimizes gas. Also, take beano or gasx, and you will feel a lot better.I also woke up with some blood in my boxers. Not much, but it was there nontheless. I took a shower to rinse it all off, and will now eat some rice and eggs. Today, I intend to have a very easy, smooth, and full bowel movement sometime in the evening and basically enjoy my day. I also intend to be gas free for the entire day.

*Another thing that i have not mentioned is that I have been stretching my hips little by little every day. I flexible in general, and I found that if i do stretches that deal with my hips and the skin around my anus, it feels good. Since it felt good, i continued to do it. I would also get into the squat to poop position often, not to poop, but to stretch. It felt great.I will be going to my cousins birthday party as well. I will bring a valium and percocet with me, just in case.Ellis

Yesterday I ate, rice, butter, more rice, chicken with cheese, and when I came home from my cousins birthday party, I ate about a pound of cherries and a pound of salmon. The birthday party went well, without really any discomfort. I purchased a packet of those baby wipes, in the to go package and had to use a couple of them. After eating the salmon and cherries, i realized i ate entirely too much food in too short a time. I had 3 BM within 1.5 hours. The first two bowel movements were very watery and diarrhea like ( still not sure what caused that) and the last one had more mass and it also had more blood. I took a shower and a bath after every BM. I took a valium and a percocet after the second BM. I also drank about a gallon of water. The BM ranged from a 2 to a 4 on the  uncomfort scale.

After the BM, I had some solid gas. I took a GasX. Gas is quite unpleasant, and it did not go away for about 2 hours. I was passing gas with my body in various positions. The uncomfort of the gas was about a 5-6. I passed most of my gas and went to sleep.

* A neat trick during the BM. Before the BM, throw some toilet paper into the toilet so that there is no surface water, just surface TP. This will prevent most of the spash back even during the most active BM.Moral of the story, I ate too much food in a very short time, and the cherries probably gave me gas.___________________________________________________________________________________This morning I woke up, and had another BM about 30 mins after. The BM was more dense, which is what I was going for. So far, I have noticed that the totaly quantity of feces that I am passing in each BM is less than before the surgery. This is probably because I am not straining.  I took a valium this morning as well.Today, I will have a fuller BM, go for a long walk, not have gas, and continue to enjoy the awesome summer weather. Ellis

Very good day today.Ate watermelon, some fish, some vegetables, eggs, dark chocolate, sea weed. I did not have gas all day. Went to the park for two hours, stretched, walked around on the grass, rolled around like a dog. Felt great. Did some pull ups on the monkey bars ass well.Pain level during the day was a 1, 2 at most. Still a little uncomfortable to sit for long period of time, but if i stand up to stretch out, it all goes well after. My BM today was more full. Once again, used the "ride the horse" technique and washed up in the shower. No diarrhea at all. During the BM the pain was about a 4. There was a little bit of blood in there as well, but nothing too major. I laid in a warm to hot bath for 20 minutes after and the pain all but subsided.

Drank a ton of water today as well.

During the day, some blood comes out onto my boxer shorts as well as a little anal leakage. Not much, and it has been progressively decreasing day by day. I carry around a little portable set of wet wipes, and that helps with the periodic itching due to the dried blood.

For the day I had two valiums and took a percocet after the BM. I think that the percocet was overkill as the bath took away the pain just fine.  Overall, awesome day.Tomorrow, I will continue to move around, continue to stretch and do a little working out on the pull up bars. My goal is to have another good and full BM. Tomorrow will be one week after the surgery. Ellis

Diet today:

LunchRice, spinach, scallops, watermelon.

Dinner:Vegetable soup, blueberries, blackberries, ice creamActivitities: Stretching, light jumping around

Pain level during the day: 1-2

BM pain level= 3-4, shower and hot bath for 15 minutes takes pain down to a 1.

No percocet or valium or any other pill today.Tomorrow I intend to continue to be relaxed and have the LIS surgery heal (I think this is where most of the BM pain is coming from). I also intend to move around a little more, eat vegetables, rice, soup, and fish.Today marks 7 days after the surgery, and I would say the surgery went quite well. I would recommend it to anyone else. The pain was not really that bad, and as long as I was able to hop into a warm bath post BM, I usually felt good after about 15-20 minutes. Ellis

Another good day today.Ate: soop, salmon, some vegetables (not nearly enough), two stool softeners, about a liter of Naked Green Machine (gave me gas and diarrhea, will avoid in large quantities from now on), some chocolate, and avocado.

Did not get the chance to go to the park and workout.

I had gas today but it was not nearly as uncomfortable as yesterday. This tells me that my internals are healing. Very nice.No pain pills of any kind today.Had two bowel movements, about a 3 on the pain scale. Did the squat on the toilet for one (breathe deep, it comes out easier) and the ride the horse for the other. Rinsed up in the shower, and then had a 20 minute bath after each one.

Tomorrow, I expect to have little to no gas, eat 10 cups of vegetables, go outside and stretch and lightly work out, and enjoy my day. Ellis.

Washing in the shower after a BM definitely is the way to go. When my butt would hurt after a BM, I would lie on my stomach or side for a while with an ice pack there. That helped too. I'm glad you're recovering well Ellis.

tb1, thanks. I am going to forward this thread to my doctor. Hopefully he will be able to advice future patients on ways to minimize post operative pain and complications.

I went to see the doctor today and he let me know that I do have skin tags and also some swelling. The swelling is some tissue from my anus that did not fall off. I was told that the swelling would go down in about a month and that the skin tag can be removed without too much of a hassle. Overall, the surgery went well, and I would recommend other people to get the procedure done.

Ellis.