We have family history of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). I’m 19 years old boy and I started to worry about that. I’m very active, I play basketball every day for few hours. I’m really afraid that my heart can suddenly stop. I’m planning to go to doctor because of that. How is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy diagnosed?

A diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is based upon a number of features of the disease process. There are several tests that can determine hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. First to will do blood test to check for specific gene mutations. Then chest X-rays that allow the heart size and position to be viewed. After that you should do echocardiograms (ECHO), electrocardiograms (ECG) and heart catheterization.

Useful answers on How hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM) is diagnosed at

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed