Hello everyone. I work in the UAE and my wife lives in the America. She called me today to tell me that she needs to see her doctor because she is not feeling that good lately. I am going to pay everything that she needs, every analysis and test but I still can't come home. She told me that some of her friends (and she is so - called doctor) told her that she is probably having obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I am surprised because she told me that all symptoms that she has are nausea and dizziness. Can you tell me more, what are the symptoms and cause of obstructive hypertrophic cardimopathy? 

Hey there. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is very common and it can affect people of any age. It doesn’t matter are you older or younger. It affects women, men – with no exception. It affects them equally. It is a very common cause of sudden cardiac arrest in very young people. Athletes also can get it. It occurs when heart muscle cells enlarge and cause the walls of ventricles to thicken. In this case, the ventricle size often remains normal but this thickening may block blood flow out of the ventricle. I think that that you should wait to see what doctor will tell. Symptoms are fainting, dizziness etc.

Hey there. Thank you very much because you are trying to help me. But I already do know what this disease means and how dangerous it is. I was reading a little bit about obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. So, those symptoms that you wrote are just a two of them. But I think that there are more of them. At least, I think that there should be more. My wife is having some symptom occasionally. I still don't know when the analyses are going to be done but I really want to know what can I expect? Is she going to be ok? Any medications can help her to deal with those side effects? Thank you.

To tell you what you can expect, you need to wait for the results. I understand that you are extremely worried about your wife, but there is nothing that you can do or help her in this moment. It is pretty silly idea about thinking to give her some medications to prevent something or to prevent side –effects when you don’t even know what is she dealing with, is she dealing with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or there is something else. Yes, sure that there are so many side – effects such as nausea, fainting, she can also throw up etc.   Have a nice day. 

Yes, I can understand what you are telling me. Trust me, I would be the happiest man alive if I am with her at this moment and that I can describe how she feels, that I can describe her behavior. I was talking to her a few minutes ago. She told me that doctor will tell her exactly what is going on tomorrow, because he will have the test results tomorrow. He told her that stress maybe is the main cause of it, but I don't know why she would be stressed. She also told me that she has fever whole day and that she was really nauseous as well. I believe that those are side - effects, right?

Good day.

OK, I see that you are into this discussion a lot. I have experience with this because I went through this with my sister. She had obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and doctors find the cause of it very soon. In her case that was obstruction of blood. In your wife’s case it can be totally different and that is why I agree that you need to wait for some tests to be done.

I understand that you are stressed but you should know that in my sister’s case everything was OK. She still has the same therapy as she had before, no – side effects or anything similar. She is just fine.

Hello there everyone,

There are a few more symptoms of obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and these are shortness of breath, especially during exercise, chest pain, as well especially during exercise, fainting (like you wrote above), sensation of rapid, fluttering or pounding heartbeats (palpitations) and heart murmur, which a doctor might detect while listening to one's heart.

I don't personally think that your wife has obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. There are numerous types of heart diseases and disorders and almost all of them have nausea and dizziness as their symptoms but not this one. She definitely needs to see her doctor because she probably does have some issues with her heart.

Hi Guest,

This condition is usually caused by abnormal genes (gene mutations) that cause the heart muscle to grow abnormally thick. People with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy also have an abnormal arrangement of heart muscle cells, a condition known as myofiber disarray. This disarray can contribute to arrhythmia in some people.

This is the condition that is usually inherited so that might as well be the case with your wife. Researchers say that there is a 50 percent chance that the children of a parent with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy will inherit the genetic mutation for the disease. If you have any kinds, you should test them to this when you can.

Hey guys,

I don't think that this is as serious as you think it is, Guest. Most people don't really experience any significant health problems unless any complications occur. These complications happen rarely but they could lead to a sudden cardiac death.

I had a friend who found out that he was suffering from this disease. If I remember well, his doctor recommended some sort of an open heart surgery to him but my friend declined and he started to use beta blockers for this matter. Unfortunately, his condition was pretty bad so he died eventually due to a sudden heart attack.

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry about your friend, Alan, he should have listened to his doctor, he should have tried the surgery option. I believe that the surgery that you are talking about is called septal myectomy, it's an open heart procedure in which the surgeon removes part of the thickened, overgrown septum between the ventricles. 

Other treatment options for this matter are medications (beta blockers can actually help to treat this condition, Stradivarius), septal ablation and an implantable cardioverter defibrillator. I believe that the best option, not just in my opinion, but in the doctors' as well, is the septal myectomy procedure.