Good day everyone. My name is Manny and I am very big hypochondriac. My friends know this and they are sometimes really mad at me because it happens that I leave some party or some lunch because I am sure that I am not so good and that something can happen to me. Also, I look at my body every day to see are there some changes because I am scared of cancer and something similar. Now I am reading about hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and I am scared. So I was wondering can you tell me what are risk factors in getting it and who is the most likely to get it? I want to see am I in this group…

Good day guest.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is usually inherited. There are at least 50 percent of chance that the children of a parent with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy will inherit the genetic mutation for the disease.

Many people with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy don’t experience any bigger health problems, but some risk or complications can include – mitral valve problems, arrhythmias, heart failure and sometimes the death as well. But in my opinion, I think that you are scared for no reason. I think that you worry too much. If you still think that something is wrong with you, you should contact your doctor.

Good day two of you.

Well it depends, but hypertrophic cardiomyopathy affects more than 600.000 people just in America. I am not so sure who is the most likely to get it but I do know that many people with HCM live nice and normal life, and do not experience any health related problems. Other people who have HCM have some chances to develop heart conditions and it can affect their normal and quality life.

Chest pain, shortness of breath, palpitations etc are symptoms of it and I think that someone already talked about risk factors so I won't repeat what he/she said.

Basically, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is associated with thickening of the heart muscle. This usually leads to stiffening of the walls of the septum between the ventricles below the aortic valve. Well, this leads to stiffening of the walls of the heart and abnormal aortic and mitral heart valve function which may impede normal blood flow out of your heart.

I think that everyone are most likely to get it, I believe that there are no rules. So, if you feel symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath and fatigue, you should contact your doctor.

The worst risk of this disease is death…