Good day people. I am going through a lot of stress lately. Two months ago my son had car accident with his wife and she lost the baby. Her recovery process is going fine, but he is still at the rehabilitation because he broke his both legs. I don’t work, I am around them all the time. But ten days ago I started to feel weak and my husband convinced me to go to the doctor. So I went to do some test. Well, nothing good can happen in my family lately. I was diagnosed with takotsubo (stress – induced) cardiomyopathy. I want to ask you what are my options?  

Hello Guest,

Stress cardiomyopathy is a syndrome characterized by transient regional left ventricular dysfunction in the absence of significant coronary artery disease. 

Because takotsubo cardiomyopathy (TCM) mimics acute coronary syndrome and no initial ECG finding reliably differentiates TCM from STEMI, prehospital personnel should follow their established protocols for evaluating and transporting patients with chest pain and/or acute coronary syndrome. 

Treatment options are largely empirical and supportive, however, when hemodynamics permit, beta blockers seem to be helpful. Serial imaging studies may be necessary. Patients who are found to have left ventricular thrombus, which occurs in 5% of patients with TCM, require anticoagulation.

Hi Guest,

Well, I had stress induced cardiomyopathy a few years back and I tried with beta blockers first, like Health n Joy wrote above, but that didn't work out for me. I was a weird case, beta blockers work out for most of the people but for me they didn't. I went to see my doctor and after some tests he agreed that I wasn't getting any better. Then, he changed my drugs from beta blockers to anticoagulants. In the beginning, these didn't seem to help at all, I thought it was the same case as it was with beta blockers, but it turned out that I was wrong, these actually helped me.

Hi everyone,

It is true that beta blockers and anticoagulants can help, but you should know that takotsubo cardiomyopathy has some long term effects. 

Close follow-up care with a cardiologist in the weeks after diagnosis is recommended for patients with TCM to ensure resolution of the cardiomyopathy, usually with serial echocardiograms. Thereafter, annual clinical follow-up is advised, because of what I just wrote above, of its long term effects.

So, what I am suggesting is that you try with one of these two types of drugs that people above wrote, beta blockers or anticoagulants, you can try any of those two first, and go do the required tests on a regular basis.

Hello Guest,

I'm sorry about the situation in your family, and I'm sorry about the loss of your grandchild.

I know of no other treatments but the ones that the people above me already wrote. I have a good friend that is currently fighting with this condition and it's not really easy to look at him like this. He is struggling with it and it is weird for anyone who knows him because he used to be such a funny and positive person. Anyway, he is using beta blockers for his condition, I'm not sure of the correct name of his medication, but I know for sure that it's a beta blocker.

Hey there.

I am really sad when I read something like this :/ It makes me really angry as well. And I can understand why you are so stressed…

It is very difficult to tell you anything at this moment, but you need to think on your health.

Takotsubo cardiomyopathy is transient cardiac syndrome that involves left ventricular apical akinesis and mimics acute coronary syndrome.

You have a couple of options. For example, patients with TCM will require admission to the appropriate cardiology service. Treatment options are huge and supportive.

Beta blockers seems to be very helpful. Consult your doctor and see what are the best beta blockers for you.

Hi guys.

Look, your only option is the treatment. Medications therapies always include some beta blockers and calcium channel blocking medications. My friend was using verapamil, and this was very helpful for her. It is good for slow heart rate and to control arrhythmias.

I think that I was reading somewhere that surgical treatment is also possible but I think that this is the case when diagnosis is more complicated.

I believe that treating with pills will be just enough and that is your option. Of course, you need to ask your doctor more about this because he will explain you all possible side – effects that some beta blockers can cause.

Good luck.

Hey there.

I am really sorry to hear this :(

When we are talking about the treatment, I am pretty sure that the treatment of this is generally supportive in nature. Patients with this disease usually have low blood pressure and the treatment is always different.

I am pretty sure that medical treatments are important to address the acute symptoms of takotsubo cardiomyopathy and some other, future treatment includes a lot of lifestyle changes.

Also, it is very important for you to stay physically healthy and you need to learn how to manage the stress.

I hope that those advice are helpful!