Hi! I need to do cardiac catheterization test. I heard that it can be very dangerous. Now I’m afraid and I need somebody to tell me is cardiac catheterization dangerous procedure? How long it takes and will I feel any pain? Anybody with experience, please, give me this information! Thanks!

You should know that before procedure you will be visited by one of our nurses who will explain everything about cardiac catheterization. I can tell you that the test takes about an hour and it’s not painful. But any test involving the heart and blood vessels has risks, although they are small.

Hello lilia,

the main danger in cardiac catheterization comes from the fact that the probe gets access directly to your heart and even though this procedure itself rarely causes any problems, the idea sounds alone very scary. Usually, the probe or the catheter is inserted in your numbed groin area and you don't feel anything. The main goal of cardiac catheterization is to look for the causes of such as shortness of breath or signs of cardiac problems.

The test also reveals how your heart is functioning and enables doctors to look at nearby vessels as well as take the tissue samples for the biopsy, if it's necessary.

CI have a bad back and cannot lay flat on my back for any period of time. Can this procedure be performed with the patient under general anethesia?