Good day everyone. My grandfather is my other father. I just can't imagine that one day he will die. I just don't want to think about this. He is old and his health is not that good. I am with him at the doctors all the time because I want to be his biggest support. Today doctors told me that he was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and my world just crashed. He is positive and he keeps telling me that everything will be OK, but I am without faith. I want to know how dangerous is cardiomyopathy in adults? Let me know as much as you can, please. 

Good day there Aurora. I am really sorry to see this. I know how you feel and I know what the feeling is when someone who is old and sick telling you that everything is going to be ok. Cardiomyopathy can be "acquired," and that means that it develops because of another disease, condition or factor, or "inherited," meaning the gene for the disease was passed on from a parent.  What other health problems she had? True, very often the cause isn't known. Cardiomyopathy can affect all ages, although certain age groups are more likely to have certain types of cardiomyopathy. When it comes to adults, some serious complications can happen…

The only thing (well, maybe not the only thing) why cardiomyopathy is dangerous is because it is always undiagnosed and therefore, it isn't treated. Your granddad is lucky actually to have it diagnosed.

It isn't more dangerous than it is in young people. This condition is actually more common in younger people than in older people. I think that your granddad is going to be okay. He has been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, that's the first step. Now they are going to set up a proper treatment for him and he is going to be just fine, I think you can trust me on that.

The question is if he has any signs or symptoms of cardiomyopathy. People who have cardiomyopathy but no signs or symptoms may not need treatment. Sometimes, dilated cardiomyopathy that comes on suddenly may go away on its own. For other people who have cardiomyopathy, treatment is needed. Treatment depends on the type of cardiomyopathy you have, the severity of your symptoms and complications, and your age and overall health. 

The main goals of treating cardiomyopathy include controlling signs and symptoms so that you can live as normally as possible, managing any conditions that cause or contribute to the disease, reducing complications and the risk of sudden cardiac arrest and stopping the disease from getting worse.

There are bunch of ways to treat cardiomyopathy actually, from medicines and lifestyle changes, to surgeries. Doctors use several types of surgery to treat cardiomyopathy, including septal myectomy, surgically implanted devices, and heart transplant.

Doctors may use a nonsurgical procedure called alcohol septal ablation to treat cardiomyopathy. Also, sometimes a heart transplantation is necessary, but these cases are very, very rare. Basically, if your granddad has no symptoms, like people above me wrote already, he is going to need no treatment, or the doctors are maybe just going to prescribe him with some medications. Anyway, age doesn't matter much and we are all hoping that your granddad is going to be okay.

It all depends. Depends on how severe it is. Milder forms can be controlled with medications, which is the majority of patients, and a normal lifestyle is quite possible. The most severe cases may be eligible for heart transplantation, your granddad's doctor is going to tell him his treatment options but like others said, if he doesn't have any symptoms, he will probably require no treatment at all so you probably have nothing to worry about. A very small number of people diagnosed with cardiomyopathy ends up dying and I'm sure that your granddad is going to be with you for quite some more time.

Hi there. Look, Cardiomyopathy is a general a term for diseases of the heart muscle, where the walls of the heart chambers have become stretched, thickened or stiff. This affects the heart's ability to pump blood around the body. It can be serious but also it doesn't have to be. I agree that ages are the biggest problem in this case but you have to be positive. Now, this also depends on which type of carddiomyopaty does she have? Do you even know? According to this you should know how dangerous it is. And of course that it should be kept under the control. Good luck.

I don’t agree with post of the Guest who wrote before me. Cardiomyopathy is very dangerous disease, it is actually a progressive disease of the myocardium or heart muscle. Now, in most of the cases, the heart muscle gets weak and it is unable to pump the blood to the rest of the body as the way it should. There are so many types of cardiomyopathy and they are caused by the range of factors but they all are dangerous and all of them can be fatal. Especially in adults. So it is very important to determine the proper treatment.

What is proper treatment