Hey there. I really do know a lot about heart conditions because unfortunately me and my family are dealing with it all the time. So, I am reading a lot about it, I am watching shows which are about it and still I don’t know enough. And to be honest I am really scared of some heart issues. For example, yesterday my good friend called me and told me that her father is diagnosed with Takotsubo cardiomyopathy. I don’t know what this is, I never have heard about this before.

Can you tell me what this is and what are the most common causes of takotsubo cardiomyopathy? 

Hey Aurora. I am glad that you asked. But I am afraid that you won’t get the answer that you expect. Why? Because the precise cause isn’t known. But the good thing is that experts think that surging stress hormones, for example – adrenaline is one of them, essentially stun the heart by triggering changes in heart muscle cells or coronary blood vessel that usually prevent the left ventricle from contracting very effectively. That can be one of the causes. Older women are more vulnerable than anyone else. It is because of reduced levels of estrogen after menopause.

I hope that this is helpful.

Hey there.

This is a broken – heart syndrome, right?

Well, the most common signs of this syndrome are angina – chest pain and shortness of breath. You can experience these symptoms even if you don’t have any history of heart disease.

Also, arrhythmias or cardiogenic shock can also occur with takotsubo cardiomyopathy syndrome. This is a condition in which a suddenly weakened heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. It can be fatal if you don’t treat it on time and if you don’t treat it right away. I really hope that this information is helpful for you.

Hey. This is actually a temporary heart condition and it is caused by some stressful situations in your life. I know that my friend got this takotsubo cardiomyopathy after her father died. This is usually the main cause of it. The main symptoms are chest pain and suddenly you can feel that you are going to have a heart attack. But usually you won’t.

This syndrome may be caused also by the heart’s reaction to a surge of stress hormones. The good thing is that this syndrome is treatable and the condition usually reverses itself in about a week.

Don’t worry.

Hey there. When I heard about “broken heart” syndrome for the first time I was thinking that someone is joking with me. But when my cousin was really stressed after his wife died he started to have bad pain in his chest. I took him to the ER and doctors told me that he is showing the classical sings of takotsubo cardiomyopathy syndrome. First, I couldn’t even spell it and when I asked doctor to explain to me what this is, he told me that this is broken heart syndrome. I was shocked.

Definitely, the stress is most common cause of it.