Hello everyone,

My cousin and I have been watching football together these days, it's the UEFA EURO 2016, I don't know if anyone is watching that here (go Island!). Anyway, he went to see his doctor, did ECG and was told to be having a high ejection fraction. He asked me about it since he knows I know a lot about heart issues and stuff but I don't really know anything about it. How dangerous is this, does anyone know, and what treatment is required for it?

What is my cousin supposed to do now since he has this high ejection fraction?

Hey Stradivarius,

Ejection Fraction (EF) is one of the measurements used by physicians to assess how well a patient's heart is functioning. "Ejection" refers to the amount of blood that is pumped out of the heart's main pumping chamber during each heartbeat. "Fraction" refers to the fact that, even in a healthy heart, some blood always remains within this chamber after each heartbeat. Therefore an ejection fraction is a percentage of the blood within the chamber that is pumped out with every heartbeat. Knowing your ejection fraction can save your life, because there are numerous treatment options. I hope your friend is going to be okay.

Hey guys,

Adria explained it well there, but you asked for treatment options and stuff like that, right?

There are so many procedures that can be done to treat this, regarding what is causing it, I'll try to list all which I know: 

Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation

Ablation for Ventricular Tachycardia

Angiogram

Angioplasty

Aortic and Mitral Valve Surgery

Atrial Fibrillation and Ablation
Biventricular Pacing
Cardiac Catheterization

Cardiac Rehabilitation

Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery

Cardiovascular Risk Reduction Program

Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG)

Coronary Calcium Screening CT

Coronary Stenting
Diabetes Center
Echocardiography

Ejection Fraction Treatment

Electrocardiography (EKG)

Electroencephalogram (EEG)

Electrophysiology (EP)

Event Recorder/Monitor.

Wow, that is really a lot of possible treatment options there, Guest. And since you said that you are going to write down the ones that you remember, I'm guessing that there are bunch of other ones out there as well. And thank you Adria as well, I didn't know anything about that, you gave me a really useful explanation.

Although you did write all of those procedures Guest, it is not very useful to me because I still can't tell my cousin what to do. How can he choose one of dozen of these procedures? Should his doctor help him with his choice?

Hello there. Well, you should definitely know what a normal is if you are having high ejection fraction. Look, a normal heart's ejection fraction may be between 50 and 70. You can also have a normal ejection fraction reading and still have heart failure – this is called HFpEF or heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. If the heart muscle has become very  thick and stiff that the ventricle holds a smaller-than-usual volume of blood, it might still seem to pump out a normal percentage of the blood that enters it. In reality, though, the total amount of blood pumped isn't enough to meet your body's needs.

Hey. Well doctor taught me one thing – when it is low and when it is high. I believe that everyone should know more about it. What means when it is too low? Well, it means that a measurement under 40 can be evidence of some heart failure. Also, ejection fraction from 41 to 49 is usually considered as a borderline but it doesn’t indicate that a person is developing heart failure. It can indicate damage or some other heart attack. On the other side, when EF is higher than 75 percent, it can indicate to the heart condition such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Hey there.

Heart failure occurs when one of the heart's pumping chambers is not pumping well enough to meet the body's needs.  It is very important to know that ejection fraction is an extremely important tool in the diagnosis and monitoring of the heart and certain types of cardiomyopathies. Cardiomyopathy is a condition in which the heart is abnormally enlarged, thickened or stiffened. You know what is high and what is low, but you should also know what is normal - An EF of 55 to 75 percent is considered normal. A higher than normal ejection fraction could indicate the presence of certain heart conditions, such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. 

Hello everyone. I think that my friend explained this to me in the best possible way.

If your EF is at 73% that means your heart function is good. So, there is no reason for you to be worried. Also, I won't worry about it being too high. I think that mine is at 70% and doctors told me that it was good. I believe that everything is ok, but if you are still freaked out about this whole situation, you should ask your doctor about it. I can’t tell, but perhaps there is new info out there that neither one of us is aware of.

Hey there. I totally do agree with you and your sayings about this. I mean, I agree whit your friend. I have tried to explain this to my friend Alan a long time ago, but he didn't want to listen to me about this. He was pretty sure that I am telling some crazy things. For this case there are so many different treatment options and there is no way that I can tell you which treatment option is the best. Your doctor can tell you that according to your current condition. Have a nice day.