Hi! I am 29 years old and I have blood pressure. I am planning to get pregnant and I was wondering if I would be able to use the drug during pregnancy as well. It does lower my blood pressure and I don’t have any side effects but I am not sure if it is safe to be used during pregnancy. Can you help? What other medications will I be able to use if not hydrochlorot?

Hi! As far as I know, these things are always discus with your personal doctor depending on your individual situation. Some hypertension in pregnancy is only watched but if it gets higher than 160/100 mm Hg, then you would need a treatment. You are certainly at risk of preclamsia, so you would need to be monitored. Although it is best for the baby not to use drugs, it is not good when mother’s not feeling well. I have been using beta blockers during pregnancy, this is what my doctor determined to be ok, or how she put it-the benefits outweighed the risks. Diuretics are not used in pregnancy but again, if your doc decides they would do good, then you may use them.