I have has hypertension for 5 years. Systolic pressure is 145mm Hg and that is the biggest problem. I have tried 3 medications and I cannot tolerate any of them. I am 52 years old, male, I quit smoking, I exercise regularly, I am on a low salt diet etc. It seems that I have what is called isolated systolic hypertension. What does it mean? What I should do about it? What can be the possible cause?

When the systolic blood pressure, the first number of the blood pressure measurement, is high like 140 mm Hg or greater, and the diastolic blood pressure, the second number, is normal or at the high end of normal, below 90 mm Hg, then situation is called isolated systolic hypertension. There are many causes of this condition like your age or anemia or perhaps abnormalities of heart valves. Please, try to investigate your condition with your physician.