I am 50 years old male and I have never had problems with blood pressure. I realized during my life that must be important for general health. Anyway, last few months I have feeling I should visit my doctor to check my condition. I have never been to the doctor for readings of my blood pressure, so I wonder how it feels like. Can you tell me more about procedure of readings blood pressure? Can you tell me normal or average blood reading for people my age?

When you came to the doctor, he will probably want to have your blood pressure measured. You will be seated comfortably, and then a blood pressure cuff will be wrapped around your arm. Your doctor will pump up or inflate the cuff so you will feel tight but it should not be painful for you. The pressure from the inflated cuff will temporarily squeeze shut an artery in arm. Then the doctor will use a stethoscope to listen over the artery in arm as he or she slowly deflates the cuff. The standard way to show blood pressure is in millimeters of mercury, or mm Hg. It is recorded as two numbers: a top number, which is known as systolic pressure, and bottom number, which is diastolic. If you are over 50 years old, a high systolic blood pressure is a more important risk factor for heart disease than a high diastolic. For the majority of patients, controlling their systolic blood pressure is more important than controlling diastolic pressure. In general, a normal blood pressure reading for healthy adults is below 120 systolic and 80 diastolic. Anyway, you should always ask your doctor for your ideal blood pressure numbers.