My father has a problem with high blood pressure. I’m worried because he drinks a lot of cups of coffee every day. He knows that it’s not good for him but he can not stop drink it. Can somebody explain to me how does caffeine affect blood pressure? Does he really need to stop to drink coffee?

Caffeine may increase your blood pressure. People without high blood pressure need to be very careful with caffeine. I read somewhere that the amount of caffeine in two to three cups of coffee can raise systolic pressure 3 to 14 mm Hg and diastolic pressure 4 to 13 mm Hg. You father should try to reduce his intake of caffeine.

Coffee, in large amounts, definitely is not healthy and in these amounts it definitely has big effects on our bodies. It speeds up heart rate and has effect on the way body uses water. Both these effects can cause blood pressure to rise, even more so when there are other factors that already contribute to high blood pressure.

It’s the caffeine from coffee that is responsible for these effects. So, your father has to try to lower his coffee intake, as a part of the changes that will help him to manage his blood pressure. Some help might come from de-caffeinated coffee, because it still has the taste coffee has, only it doesn’t have the same effect caffeine has.