I am being put on Imuran for ulcerative colitis. Is there anyone here that is now on it? I understand it is approved by the FDA for leukemia but not for UC or Crohns even though they have been proven to be very beneficial. I would like to talk with someone that is taking it.

I've been taking Imuran for Ulcerative colitis for 3 years now. It stopped my flareups and I did not experience any side effects. However, I got a very bad cold earlier this year and am experiencing a flare up. I'm not sure whether or not this has anything to do with the Imuran - I'm waiting to hear from my doctor.

Ive been put back on this med for the second time now and last weekend i took it and got sick.. vomiting and diarrhea but that night i took it the same time i went out to eat so i thought it was food poisoning so i delayed on taking it for a week now to see if this weekend was any different which it is not. i took it again and same side affects again whats happening :s

I have been taking Imuran for the past 2 years now with no side effects at all. I did notice that it can cause some nausea so I take it with a glass of milk in the morning and I have not had any nausea since.
It works much better for my UC than the Salofac that I was previously using. :-D

I used imuran before, maybe 8 or 9 years ago and keep on it until 3 years ago. now i started again but i feel neusea but there is no vomiting. i had fever and head ache, and my health like yuyu :S
I don't know if all these from it or not. because in the past i had nothing when i take it

:? My seven year old boy has UC since he was 5. For the past year, he was in remission with Pentasa, 1000 mg, 3 times per day. 30 days ago, he went into a flare up, put on orapred and flagyl and has not seen any response on those medicines. His PED GI wants to put him on Imuran, but I am scared of those immuno-suppressed drugs. Does anybody have any other ideas or maybe some other 5asa combo that might work, before I try Imuran. They put him on Asacol 3 days ago, instead of Pentase because we have had to compound the Pentasa be/c he can't take Pentasa large size pills. He has taken the pills Asacol, but I feel these last 3 days his bloody stools have gotten worse. Basically, my concerns are, his age, suppressing his immune system, and the harsh side effects I have read about Imuran. I would love some feedback about any other people that might have young children with UC that might be on Imuran.

Try Rosawa enema(rectal 5ASA) before imuran. I know lot of people even with imuran have blood in stool so not necessarily it will stop blood. I will definately try enema or steroid enema before imuran.

Quote:

bobhut wrote:

My daughter is 7, we started imuran 2 months ago, she was on on asacol for 14 months, did not help. Doc prescribed imuran, The bleeding is in control so far with little side effects. (she was also on hydrocortosol for 3 weeks, it helped during the worst flare up)

Be very careful with this drug. It looks like everybody here was successful taking it, but my son (33) was deathly ill with it, developed a brain abscess and had had three brain surgeries since taking it. The doctors think it was an allergy to the drug and then he had strep throat due to his immune system being down. It did not help his UC at all. I realize this is probably an isolated case, but just be careful.

I agree. Be VERY careful with this drug. I ended up in the ER (severe reaction) with my liver #'s off the charts, and this drug almost killed me. I just collapsed at home, and my husband had to call an ambulance. I kept telling my Dr. and nurses for weeks that I just did not feel right...like I was slowly being poisoned or something, and they just attributed my nausea/pain etc. to normal side effects. Needless to say...I'm off of the drugs and have a new Dr. I'm doing a natural approach for my UC now, and it is working beautifully. Been in remission for 5 years now. Look into using slippery elm, and coconut milk/oil.

natural approach really that is bunch of bull. yea ancient chinese secret

BS NATURAL APPROACH

You guys are lucky if you dont have anyside effect... I have used it along with Masacol500mg and got severe headache for weeks and memory loss and confusion issues and then i lost all my hairs within 2 weeks. Even i stopped it and it seems it is still in my body for three weeks... now hairs are re growing I am also using GNC supplements for biotin.