Hello!  I have just gone into remission from Ulcerative Colitis, after 2 years of bleeding, mucus, cramps and urgency (ie, not getting to the loo on time) and am now left with grade 4 hemorroids.....which is nice.  I've finally got off Prednisolone after being on them for about a year and a half, and am currently on Azathioprine which is an immuno supressant drug.  This drug, although effective, has caused my hair to thin terribly, so I'm sat here typing with a very cold head, today I literally shaved it all off so I can start again.  I'm a 37 year old mum so this is quite a big deal for me, but my hair has become so shoddy it's not been worth keeping. 

On the 28th March I'm going in for an Open Hemorroidectomy which will hopefully get rid of the 'piles' and once I've healed I should be back to normal.  Still on the UC meds, still bald as a coot, but fixed.  I can't wait.  I know I have to get through the op first, but I know there's light at the end of the tunnel now. 

I've read a lot of other posts about this topic which have helped me, and terrified me I have to say, so I wanted to add my own.  Here goes.  I have prepared for this operation by stocking up on Co-codamol, I've not really been given much other advice from anyone apart from to be prepared for a hell of a lot of pain.  The surgeon said that I was in for '6 - 8 weeks of hell' and that going to the loo would be 'like passing a sword' so I know this isn't going to be an easy ride. I have bought Complan for the days when I don't feel like eating, have got some fibre sachet things, some Lactulose and quite a few tins of prunes.  I quite like prunes, so this is at least good news.

My husband has taken two weeks off work to take care of me and then I'm on my own.  I don't drive and my average week of school runs equals approximately 10 hours of walking up and down hills carrying school bags.  My kids are 4 and 8 so they're only just understanding what's going on really. 

My UC led to me being admitted to hospital for IV steroids once, and horrendous stomach cramps and blood loss.  Unfortunately even though the UC is no longer active my piles have meant the blood loss has continued, and I mean toilet bowls full of blood, a fissure and extreme fatigue.  I've been aneamic because of the amount of blood I've lost when I've been at my worst with these hemorrhoids.  These last two years have been hell and in all truth I had a full on nervous breakdown about 6 months ago which I'm just coming round from.  I'm on Citralopram now to help soften the edges of the days a little.  

So, any suggestions, sympathy, experiences......anything would be gratefully received.  It would be lovely to chat with anyone who has been through this sort of thing and come out the other end. 

Thanks for listening, Kay :O)