My boyfriend is 18 and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis a little over a year ago. He seems to be loosing a lot of weight lately and never seems to have an appetite. He is 5'11" and weighs about 125 pounds. (is that underweight?) He just started this new diet "The Makers Diet" and nothing seems to be happening. I believe that he should go to a doctor and have them see if the ulcerative colitis is worsening. Please help!

~Worried Girlfriend

He needs to see a GI doctor (Gastro Intestinal). He will likely have to have a colonoscpy done to see whats wrong. They will take biopsies and test for cancer, precancer, chrons, or UC.

It's likely the doctor will then prescribe an antibiotic and then something called asacol (a lot do, but not all). It could go into remission quickly or it could take a long while. There is no cure, so it may relapse in his life later, but the asacol is meant to keep that under control.

I'm no expert, but 125 lbs is very light for someoen that is 5'11". I am the same height and before my UC started I was around 185. After I am around 170, I may drop more, but 160 still would be pretty average. I think I've loss a lot of muscle which contributed mostly to my weight as I havn't been exercising much until i get off some of the initial meds that make me tired.

He may not be able to eat much at once, but I've learned I can eat a little very frequently, and that helped me a lot.

I had diarrhea on and off for twenty years and no doctor ever helped me. I finally was cured by a Latino friend and I have put the cure on the web diarrheafolkremedy.com. Now that the problem is cured I stay healthy by using the Hay diet.
Kepri

I have suffered with ulcerative colitus for over 20 years it is not nice but drugs can help asacol (mesalazine) is a good preventative medicine but they have been using transplant rejection drugs such as cyclosporine with amazing results.I enjoy the periods of remission and when having a flare up I have short courses of prednisolone(steriods) these can be in tablet form or anal your choice .If you think you have uc then you should go to the doctors a few simple tests and you have a clue what and how to treat your condition. I was more devastated to find out my 10year old son had it too but he is the bravest person I know but he wasnt able to get it in remission and after 3 years he had to have his bowel removed and have a bag but the doctors took some of his small intestine built him a pouch that works as a bowel and he is doing great. It may feel like the end of the world but it isn't you aren't alone and there is help.

I have had UC since the age of 15 - I am now 53.  My case was unusal in the beginning since I was asymptomatic most of the time.  Commonly used drugs and prednisone kept it in remission until 12 years ago - I became very ill, couldn't eat, was hospitalized due to malnutrition, anemia, UC, and my right side of my intestinal tract collapsed.  I did recover over a period of time, but had to change jobs etc.  The doctor informed me I would need to have surgery @ the Cleveland Clinic in approximately 1 year @ the time.  I much improved and was doing well until the last couple of years. Dec. 2010,  I became extremely ill on Christmas Eve - passed-out.  The ER doctors knew of my condition, but diagnosed me with a viral infection and stated, "you have Anemia, follow-up with your family doctor when you return home after the holidays."  I became more ill, unable to function or work.  I was in and out of the hospital 3 times within a couple of weeks.  I had to have urgent surgery.  The surgeon removed 4 feet of my colon, 4 litres of fluid from my abdomen, and my intestinal tract had narrowed in the opening the size of a penny in diameter.  I was on high doses of steroids, TPN, anti-biotics, and pain medication, and developed Sepsis - my hospital stay was 3 months long.  I have an Ileostomy which the surgeon now says she cannot reverse as she originally planned. I also have adenocarcinoma which I am being treated with chemo:  5FU/Leucovorin.  Your boyfriend is young, please insist that he see a GI Specialist ASAP.  The younger you are, the easier to bounce back.  The worst part of the colonoscopy/endoscopy is the solution you have to drink the night before.  A really good GI doctor will give you enough medication so that the patient does not remember the procedure.  Please tell him not to wait, it could rupture and/or perforate.  The scenerio is not a positive one in most cases.  I wish that I had surgery 12 years ago @ the age of 41 and not @ the age of 53.  Right now, I am getting through one day at a time.  I am extremely disappointed that the Ileostomy cannot be reversed, but I am still living and healthier than I have been in years.  I can live with the Ileostomy.