hi, i'm 19 and have what most people would consider a "poor diet". i'm a size 10 and don't really eat too much junk food, but i am terrible when it comes to vegetables and fish. i don't like any vegetables, not one, except for potatoes but i'm not even sure if they are vegetables anyway. i also dislike fish and never eat anyway, apart from fish fingers about twice a year (which probably don't count)

anyway, in the last few days i have been thinking a lot about this after reading an article on premature deaths and diseases caused by not eating the right foods. anyway, having made a decision to try and get some more vegetables in my diet, i was wondering what kind of vitamins i could be taking in the meantime to help me get the vitamins i should be having (having vegetables in my diet is going to take a lot of work, i detest them! so i'm going to have to go slowly!)

Vitamin A
Vitamin A is necessary for normal eyesight, body tissues, growth and bone formation, and resistance to infection.

Sources:

* Liver, fish liver oils, eggs;
* Orange vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin;
* Dark-green leafy vegetables, like spinach, kai lan, kangkong, di wang chai;
* Orange fruits like mango, cantaloupe, papaya, persimmon
* Tomatoes, green beans

Signs of Deficiency: Poor night vision or night blindness, loss of appetite, increased susceptibility to infection, and changes in the skin and teeth.
Vitamin B-1
Vitamin B-1 (thiamin) is vital for the normal functioning of all body cells, especially nerves. It also helps the body break down carbohydrates, protein, and fat for energy.

Sources: Oysters, green peas, brewer's yeast, organ meats, lean cuts of pork, dried beans and peas, oranges, wheat germ, breads and cereals whole grain, peanuts and peanut butter.

Signs of Deficiency: Fatigue, loss of appetite, weight loss, gastrointestinal upsets, nausea and weakness. Signs of a severe deficiency include mental confusion, muscular weakness, paralysis of the extremities, heart problems and loss of reflexes.
Vitamin B-2
Vitamin B-2 (Riboflavin) is necessary for the normal release of energy from carbohydrate, protein and fat in food. It's also important for normal growth and development, the production and regulation of certain hormones, and the formation of red blood cells.

Sources: Dairy products, meat, poultry, fish, enriched and fortified grains, cereals and bakery products, and green vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus and spinach.

Signs of Deficiency: Soreness of the mouth, lips and tongue, burning and itching of the eyes, loss of vision, sensitivity to light. As the deficiency progresses, the inside of the mouth, and the eyes and skin become inflamed, and depression and/or hysteria develop.
Vitamin B-3
Vitamin B-3 (Niacin) is essential for the release of energy from carbohydrates. It aids in the breakdown of protein and fats, in the synthesis of fats and certain hormones, and in the formation of red blood cells.

Sources: Meat, poultry, fish, enriched cereals and grains, and nuts. Although milk and eggs contain very little niacin, they provide tryptophan, which is converted into niacin by the body.

Signs of Deficiency: Weakness, loss of appetite, indigestion, skin inflammation, and lethargy. A severe deficiency results in the disease pellagra, which causes scaly skin, swollen tongue, tremors and damage to the central nervous system.
Vitamin B-6
Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine) helps the body build and break down carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. It plays a key role in the processing of amino acids, the building blocks of protein, and the nutrient aids in the formation and maintenance of the nervous system.

Sources: Chicken, fish, kidney, liver, pork, eggs, unmilled rice, soy beans, oats, whole-wheat products, peanuts and walnuts.

Signs of Deficiency: Depression, vomiting, increased susceptibility to disease and infection, skin and nerve inflammation, anemia, nausea and lethargy.
Vitamin B-12
Vitamin B-12 is necessary for normal processing of carbohydrate, protein and fat, for the normal production of certain amino acids and fats, and to maintain the nervous system.

Sources: Meat, poultry, fish, milk, dairy products and eggs.

Signs of Deficiency: Anemia and neurological problems.
Vitamin C
Vitamin C is necessary for the formation of collagen, a protein that gives structure to bones, cartilage, muscles and blood vessels, and contributes to the proper maintenance of capillaries, bones and teeth. Vitamin C promotes the healing of wounds, bone fractures, bruises, hemorrhages and bleeding gums.

Sources:

* Citrus fruits and juices like oranges, papaya, honeydew, guava, pomelo
* Broccoli, sweet peppers, tomatoes, cabbage, potatoes, snow peas, cauliflower
* Leafy greens such spinach, kai lan, chye sim, bok choy

Signs of Deficiency: An increased tendency to get black-and-blue marks, bleeding gums, nose bleeds and wounds that heal slower than normal. Other signs include damage to blood vessels, swollen, tender joints and aching bones, general weakness, loss of appetite and dry, scaly skin. The disease known as scurvy results from a severe vitamin C deficiency. Scurvy is characterized by anemia, tooth loss and bleeding under the skin.
Vitamin D
Vitamin D is essential in the formation and maintenance of bones and teeth by regulating the absorption and use of calcium and phosphorus. It also aids in the maintenance of a healthy nerve and muscle system.

Sources: Sunlight, fortified milk and margarine, eggs and butter.

Signs of Deficiency: A prolonged lack of this nutrient results in changes in the bones of children and adults.
Vitamin E
Vitamin E protects fats and vitamin A in the body from destruction by destructive oxygen fragments. As an antioxidant, Vitamin E stabilizes cell membranes and protects tissues that are found throughout the body.

Sources: Vegetable oils such as soyabean oil, corn oil

Signs of Deficiency: Anemia in infants and nerve damage in adults.
Vitamin K
The main function of Vitamin K is to regulate blood clotting.

Signs of Deficiency: Vitamin K deficiency is very rare. But certain conditions or medications that affect vitamin K absorption may lead to abnormal blood clotting.

i dont know if you are still looking for information but i thought i would just suggest that if you hate vegetables can you eat fruit? fruits hold a lot of the same vitamins as many veges and taste much better! you could always try a supplement, but there are so many out there it would depend on what you were trying to achieve really. For general well being and immune system there are some fruit based supplements made from blueberries and some from black elderberries that would do the trick.
You could always try making smoothies with vegetables as they do make the flavours different. Let me know how you do!
Fiona

Hi its Nick. I am certainly not an expert, but I might have a little advice to throw your way. I am in a very similar situation. I have been trying to get some extra Vitamin C by eating more fruits like oranges and lemons (I like sour stuff). I also have been trying to eat a salad when I can. I also take Vitamin C every morning. I also take Zinc to help boost my immune system. You can eat bananas to give you potassium. So in my limited experience, I have to say eat fruit and salad and if you hate them as well, just take supplements.