Hello! I am vegetarian, but not from my childhood. It was the choice I made when I turned 21 and started living on my own. I am now 23 and I think of myself as an accomplished vegetarian since I don’t eat any animal products at all. My mom keeps bugging me that I should at least eat diary product and eggs since I am not taking enough B 12 vitamin, which according to her exists only in meat and animal products. Not many people I know are vegetarians and I didn’t have anyone to ask for advice on this matter, but I am sure that there must be enough B12 vitamin in some vegetarian food too. What are the good sources of vitamin B12 for vegetarians?

Hello! I am very glad that you made the choice you did and I am sorry that not many of your friends and family joined you. It is also very sad that your family doesn’t support you in your decision and helps you stick to it. But your mom is right about the B-12 vitamin, it is mostly found in meat, fish and other animal products such as diary and eggs. The Vegan Society recommends that vegans either consistently eat foods fortified with B-12 or take a daily or weekly B-12 supplement. I personally love eating breakfast cereals fortified with B-12 vitamins; if you don’t want to take supplements you can try it too.

Hi! I must also agree with your mother and confirm once again that the best source of vitamin B12 is in animal meat and products. However I can also tell you that yeast is also a great source of B vitamins. You can drink a tablespoon of yeast dissolved in water every morning. Also some sea plants and algae can be introduced into your diet since they have some B12 vitamin too. I personally eat a lot of miso and tofu and get my daily amount of vitamin B12 from there.