What are the irreversible effects of cocaine addiction on the brain ??
My boy-friend is an ex addict but I'm getting the feeling that his brain is not functioning as it should be... He is forgetful, contradictory.... sometimes paranoid... He also gets depressed over small matters...
Could this be due to permanent damage to his brain because of his past as a cocaine addict ????
He is been clean for about 3 years.

because of the nature of cocaine, which releases huge amounts of dopamine in his brain, it has just worn out that part of his mind. Because the dopamine producer was on overdrive for so long, its possible that it is now irreversibly damaged, and releases less dopamine. In case you dont know dopamine is the brain chemical that makes you feel good. The same is true of heroin. I would encourage activities that could possibly regulate his brain chemistry better, such as excercise and eating right if he doesnt already do that.