Can you tell me the method to recognize a cocaine addict? I have heard my 17 year old son speaking about it with some new friends of his and I have to say that I am very frightened. But he does not look or acts like someone who uses drugs. What should be my next step? What would you do?

Well, it might be for the best to confront him immediately and ask him about that situation. Just don’t be too aggressive, he is a teenager and might also respond intensively. Talk to him; see if there is something that bothers him. And if he is using some drug you would notice it immediately, the difference comparing to previous, normal behavior is jut too big.

It is unbelievably hard to recognize a cocaine addict,look at his friends,ask where they are going,check his drawers,let them do a party and after check the garbage,check where he spends money,what he withdrawls.

Gosh..if i had a son or a girl and i had suspicions of them smoking weed i'd find out b4 posting on forum..

I'll tell you what to do,stop thinking and act,thinking too much is like going in circles,do you really want to do nothing is the question here.You're the boss,coke is bad and you are going to do something about it :idea:

I am a cocaine addict. My parents have no idea. From an addict to a parent i advise you to look for powder residue on cards in his wallet. Currency that may look like it was rolled up. Check his coin pockets when he returns home from friends or parties. Look for shooters (pen tubes cut and used to in sulfate cocaine). Common names for cocaine that your son may use is powder, snow, yay, yak, girl. And most of all random BLOOD or HAIR drug test. Do not take a urine test because coming from experience I have cheated those several times. Cocaine leaves the body in 5-7 days but the metabolites are present 2 weeks after last use. Drug test can also tell you the amount of substance present in the body. If it is a considerable amount it would suggest frequent use becuase tolerance grows quickly. Does he sleep late and wake up early or on time, I often coke up late into the night and coke in the morning before class. Does he always look awake and energized. Does he talk alot. Check flat surfaces for powder residue from cutting the coke on a table.

IF and only IF you do find he has used or is using cocaine take advise from me.

Dont be upset. The drug works on the reup take of dopomine and serotonin in the brain (hormons working on reward and love). Basically it is MADE to be like by any human being. If you try it you WILL like it. You cant blame him for trying it and liking it. You can blame him for trying it in the first place.

Cocaine is a powerful addiction. One of which people struggle with all their life. I am an addict. Addiction is a disease. Explain to him the consequences, but dont kick him out of the house. This is the worst solution. You wouldnt kick him out of the house if he had cancer.

Rehab.! Rehab! and Cocaine anonymous. However, beware of cocaine anonymous its a great way to find new connections.

If i could make the choice again. I would never have tried it. Its like an instant orgasm as soon as it enters my nose. Take it one day at a time. And make sure he knows your there for him.

Change his phone #. DOnt let him take the phone #s out of his old phone. Tell him to find the phone #s he needs and only give him #s of people you know are good.

First I would like to say ,that is, what a wonderful summary of what to do if you were or are an addict. Yet your problem solving methods of trying to point out the visible signs werent really there. The parent of a suspected but not proven drug user wouldnt make them get a new phone, tell them good luck finding your friends numbers, unless they dont care of their childs feelings at all.

Anyways back on subject. The obvious visible signs of a cocaine user are but not always:
--Dark circles under the eyes followed by wrinkles around the eyes
--A runny or stopped up nose
--They most always have a greasy face and sweaty palms
--Extremely figidty and talkative
--No hunger while they're high and possible nausea
--Very wide dilated eyes, like the color has become all black/ The same goes with ectasy

Well thanks for reading oh and this comes straight from the horses mouth, cause im high right now from that stuff.

Residue on surfaces and are little sandwich bags that are just corners and a little piece of plastic that is knotted, money in denigrations of $40 or 40 80 120 ect cocaine doesn't last long so $40 $80 is roughly the usual amount, talkative extremely runny nose that I almost water like if he has a cold it will last signifigantly longer afterwards while high he may gag or fought frequently but the coughs should sound forced not natural. Lots of water intake and if he smokes when your on it you tend to smoke a lot more. Next day he my drink a considerable amount of wate loss of apatite unless it is a liquid sleeping late but being up early. Troubles sleep talks faster and looks down to talk maybe at a phone or keeps himself busy. As far as finding it to do e will look for money or sell his belongings for it even if he is not severely addicted when you come down from cocaine it makes you want more while off of it you can go without for a considerable amount of time ie a week or two but he will spend $40 if he has it. It is not visible unless he is smoking it it will create creators in face after excessive use

Hello, if your son is using, you won't be able to notice the first times. However, there is a pattern to social, daily and once in a while binge users. 1.- loss of appetite 2.- dialated pupils (when high) 3.- thirst 4.- short temper 5.- very talkative and speaking very fast 6.- if he/she smokes cigarettes x2 7.- lack of sleep 8.- bedroom doors often locked 9.- alcohol increase (used to decrease anxiety) 10.- weightloss isn't a major whistleblower, after a few hours of social use cravings kick in.

I cannot believe that a guest on here says that being a coke addict is a disease. It's not - cancer is a disease- being a coke addict is a choice !!!!!!!!

These are the symptoms of cocaine addiction

• loss of the sense of smell
  • nosebleeds
  • difficulty swallowing
  • hoarseness
  • a chronically runny nose

Addiction is a control of the mind. It is a mental health problem. It is a sickness. It makes people do things they would never do. It might not be a physical disease like cancer, but it is an illness for sure.

If you yourself haven't experimented with cocaine then it is indeed hard to spot. I convinced myself a long time I didn't have a problem when I did.

A couple of tells are (especially if he new to the drug): take into account cocaine effects only last up to 30 mins so these aren't to be taken as law

If he comes back high he will potentially over talk - it'll make sense, but it'll probably be a bit more hectic.
Or if he rushes out of sight when he gets home, obviously he doesn't want you to see him
2, look him in the eyes. This is easier if he has fair eyes. Look for any change in pupils. Mine were like moons and very obvious if you knew what you were looking for
Also, when you're going this it's likely he won't feel comfortable looking you in the face
3, biting lips or messing with mouth when he returns home. His mouth will be dry and sticky which is irritating, so he will mess. Also look for chapped lips.
4, over use of toilet tissue. If you notice a sudden increase in empty rolls. (He's got to blow it out at some point). Also look for tissue in his room.
5, body odour can change
6, if he mentions he's tired because he couldn't sleep
7, weightloss.
8, most obvious, where is his money going? If he asks for more or if he is broke but you're not seeing his usual pattern of spending.

I don't know his social background so hard for me to guess, but cocaine is expensive so if he is using it'll be in small quantities.

not true TrIED IT AND THOUGHT
IT AS HOrrIBLE

Well, good for you. You are in the nigh-non-existent minority. Congratulations on your abnormal brain...this makes you unqualified to relate.

No one chooses to become a Coke addict.

People may become addicted to Coke because of cultural, social, or personal stressors. Many things can cause and individual to try and then become addicted to cocaine.

An addiction is a disease. A mental disease.

At least I can get help with my cocaine addiction. There's no cure for your blantant ignorance.

It's not a choice it's a curse for most people who at the end of the day are just addicted to dopamine