Hello? My brother is on methadone treatment now though I’m not sure how it could help him, anyway he was almost 15 years on heroin and when he couldn’t get heroin he was on vicodin or something like that. He tried detox several times but wasn’t successful for he never managed to go through few days without using drug. I think it affected his brain function so much that he won’t ever be able to make it without using some opiates. I’d like to hear if opiates do change brain chemistry permanently or there’s hope for my brother to recover.

Well, the prognoses are not positive but in some individuals it is shown that prolonged detoxication and rehabilitation treatment might give some good results. I personally don’t believe that after such a long time of using opium’s such as heroin the affected brain chemistry might return to normal stage but its worth of trying. You need to find the way to help him go through the whole rehabilitation and that’s not that easy for the fact that his brain has already changed a lot, it’s like his brain has changed under the impact of opium and that is his brain that is addicted and he has a tough time ahead to fight it. In general drugs, especially when used so long might has permanent impact on how brain works and in some people this condition is irreversible and in others it’s not. Maybe a methadone treatment would help him to cure the addiction but I personally don’t believe that the brain chemistry can get recovered totally.