Hi, my boyfriend is taking cocaine for many years. He enjoys it, but I am worried about his health condition.

Cocaine is a powerfully addictive drug, and it’s abuse leads to development of serious diseases. Once having tried cocaine, and taking it for a while makes a person dependant on it. Cocaine's stimulant and addictive effects are result of its ability to prolong usage of dopamine by nerve cells. A tolerance to cocaine noticed and developed, and a person needs more and more drug to feel good as it has felt before with smaller doses. Taking drugs is always related to spreading of infectious diseases like HIV and hepatitis, so you must be very careful and check if your boyfriend is infected.

:'( my son-in-law is smoking cocaine, has been for sometime, and it is out of control, he is loosing his family and business. nothing any one saids matter's. he can fall asleep on the drop of a hat, while driving, he has had a few accidents because he falls asleep. why is this? he is going to kill someone or himself. we would like to put him away, but were told that unless he wants help himself, it won't do any good.

Falling asleep is your bodies way of saying you are shattered. When I was much younger I took cocaine a lot, now at 40 I guess I have realised the errors of my ways. Over fifteen years now and my only vice is a little whisky here and there and definitely in moderation. Then again through experience I know that by keeping you alert for so long it can have other adverse effects on comedown, one of which is of course tiredness, and because it comes on quickly it can happen at any time. Other problems occur when people use benzos like diazepan to help with the come down so they can sleep. Again this has its problems and can put a massive strain on your heart. Imagine your heart feeling like it is beating at a hundred miles an hour then suddenly slowing. Depending on the situation falling asleep at the wheel could be due to lack of sleep but the strain on your heart could also bring on minor strokes which might in very minor cases appear like falling asleep. I don't claim to be an expert but if this is happening a lot you have to get him some help. Over the years I have known many people who have either nearly died or almost killed others in similar situations. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, I once fought like crazy to have my best friend put into rehab against his will. Twenty years later we have never spoken but I know he is alive and to me that is far more important than having a buddy to get wasted with. I still care for him and if he ever decides to get in touch I will always be there for him. I cant make you do anything, that has to be your chice but if you love your daughter you should move heaven and earth to get him the help he needs even if you do it anonymously. I wish you the best of luck.