I had been addicted to opium for the past 10 years or so with a detox here and there, but now my current doctor has me on methadone and i just can't help but feel when is all this sweating and pain and HELL!!! going to ever stop?? I have a friend who is also detoxing off opium but he's on Suboxone and he doesn't seem to be going thru what i'm going thru. I'm thinking about switching from methadone to suboxone, not sure what the piont is anymore, i also am wondering how long am i supposed to be taking these pills for detox. If it was upto my dr. he would have me on them forever!!!! He's not a very trustworthy dr. but the only one who's helping, i found him thru another opium addict who was detoxing but he's been in t his program for a year now, but i dont think hes serious about detoxing so i'm not looking to him as someone serious, but bottom line is, should i swich from methadone 5mg i take 1 and a half pills everyday but sweat like i'm in a sauna to suboxone??? And how am i supposed to stop these meds??? Please help, i need some feedback!! I'm scared and done with addictions of ANY kind!!!

I have been on meathadone for a year and a half,due to a opiate addiction for 2 years my husband and i were both on percocets,oxycontin,vickodin, well basically any pill we could get our hands on.being parents of three boys we were tired of dependancy and wanted to live a clean life for our boys and also we beacme christians and wanted a fresh new start on life.we were recommended to a methadone treatment center and we have been on this for 17 months now at 90 mg of methadone a day,we have never evenm heard a word about cutting back or weening and i have personally heard several cases in this clinic of people wanting off and thay will pretty much fight to keep you on the c**p. i personally believe its all about money any more i mean granted i no longer take 20 pills a day,buy illegally,and pay 5.00 a pill,or wait to drop dead from an od but i still am not satisfied with this.....i have kicked every drug known to man im 29 yrs old meth,thc,coke, but the one thats legal i cant kick i have went as far as the point where you cant get off the couch because it feels like your legs are no longer attached,diaherria,no appetite,sweatty, hot/cold sweats,irritatted,i believe it was about 48 hrs but having 3 small kids i had to get something i couldnt take care of my family and thats the big problem my husband and i face is he has a full time job to take care of us,i take care of the kids and we have noone to help us out so what do you do then??????? we have found one detox program its a out house program it costs 5,000.00 yeah ill get right on that ,i mean its like the pharmaceutical companies are in this together to make more money we have to do something to get off this demon drug helpppppppppppp.......................... desperate mom in florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know what you mean...my aunt was addicted to heroine on and off for longer than i've been alive... she also takes methadone... which she's been on for over a year. i don't have hope anymore that she'll get completely clean. i think the whole methadone system should be changed by someone, it's ridiculous.

I can't believe how seriously ignorant you are sk8er-whatever the hell your name is. You think the system should be changed? Do you have any clue about opiate addiction and the permenant damage it does to your brain? Obviously not. I'm guessing you know NOTHING about dopamine, and endorphin deficiencies, and instead just hop on the anti-methadone band wagon. You should be praising your aunt for getting help for her heroin addiction. Methadone is the most successful treatment out there for opiate addiction. This isn't switching an addiction for another. And if the person who started this thread think this, than obviously she should get off of it ASAP. I've never been high on my dose, it keeps me normal. It lets me function like a normal person would. See, all the years of doing opiates makes it impossible for a person to feel pleasure, his or her dopamine is depleated caused by the opiate and can no longer produce it naturally on it own. Why do you think so many run back to using heroin. How would you feel if Christmas Morning, Or a Sunny Day, no longer could bring you pleasure? That's how it is for people who have been addicted to opiattes for long periods of time. I find your comment extremely rude, and disrespectful. But Mostly Ignorant. You obviously have not done the research, but just follow what others say. Your comment sounds dumb, to a well versed specialist in methadone-to say the least.
Now the woman who started this thread, obviously isn't the sharpest tool in the shed either. You say no ones brought up detoxing you, but you said nothing about whether or not YOU brought it up to the clinic. I wonder why that is? HMMMM, let me guess, you haven't even asked to detox yet, but rather put the responsibility on the clinic to tell you when to get off of methadone. You see, a clinic can not deny you detox, and we are lucky that they do not force us off, as some people need this for the rest of their lives. Why would they have you get off of it, if it's working so well for you? You say that you haven't used anything since being on it, wasn't that the point? I guess it's a medication that has saved you life, and your family, and you choose to call it "c**p"

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use

You take no responsibility in your own treatment, but instead insult the clinic because no one is pushing you off, THEN you insult the medication that has given your life back. You are lucky you even have those kids right now, and I bet you wouldn't have them if it weren't for methadone. Some people will never understand. Methadone is needed for those with long opiate addictions, the same way Insulin is needed for someone with diabetics. It's medical treatment. I've been on Methadone and It has saved my life, 

To "Guest"...First of all being on methadone for the rest of your life IS replacing one addiction with another so what kind of SPECIALIST are you, obviously not a good one and stop putting everyone in this thread down. You probably have no friends because of how rude and conceited you are! They have methadone maintenance programs so you can get off of opiates and you can be on it for as long as you want but you cant just stop it because you will withdrawal and I know because I have been an opiate addict for ten years and am only 25. To get off of methadone you have been on for a while you have to slowly decrease the dose which the clinic ill do for you if its a reliable one and you should be down to like 1 mg a day and then you wont go through a bad withdrawal. I mean you may not feel perfect but it will go away quickly and wont be bad. I have been on suboxen, subutek, and methadone mostly and yes it works great. To the one person who it makes feel crappy make sure your really on methadone because it is a miracle drug for us opiate addicts. Dont tell a woman she cant take care of her kids she is taking the steps to get clean, which is a good thing. You are the most ignorant person Ive ever heard and no one is even listening to your thread because you obviously dont know a damn thing about what you are talking about!!

DONT EVEN COME ONE HERE YOUR NOT WANTED!!

My ex stopped after 3 years on methadone for heroin addiction. He started doing heroin again, for about a month, as a substitute for the methadone. Then took methadone for a week , just enough time to live through the heroin withdrawals and stopped it. of course , he had 5cc left, just in case he felt super bad. But it never happened. A week with no sleep and morning diarrhea, minor weakness and mild depression and it was all gone! he's been clean for over 2 years now.

to the sk8ter rude dude you sound like your 15 people are on here to seek help and support not to kill anything being addicted to anything is very hard. words of encourage ang the love of god is the only thing that can get anyone off anything my goodness family even leave you. SO id be carefull what you say on here your words can have a bid effect on someones life you should know we all be there. For you and everybody reading this take it one day at a time with the lord. He promises to never leave or forsake you when you pray confess your brain and body is complete and produces all the right chemicals the devil took form you no matter how much pain you feel. IM not saying to stop your pills any one im just here to tell you of a man who took his life for all we go through, and to the ones who says well why is god doing this to me im her to tell you its not god its the devil all he ever does is try to mimic god. GOD SENT HIS SON to pay the final price he dont put that one us. THe only thing god ever promised to resurrect was his son jesus christ and the devil trys to resurrect our past and addictions pray talk to him ask him for guidance read his word. HE SAYS IF YOU PUT YOUR TRUST IN ME I WILL GIVE YOU THE DESIRES OF YOUR HEART. HE WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU OR FORSAKE YOU CALL OUT TO HIM HE IS REALLY THERE AND HE LOVES ALL OF YOU. DONT GIVE UP HAD IT OVER TO HIM AND WHEN YOU FINALLY TRUST HIM AND KNOW ONLY HE CAN TAKE THIS AWAY HE WILL HE IS FAITHFUL AND JUST. YOURS TRULY, A FRIEND

Hi every one,
I am not a opium addicted but I am addicted to poppy followers, from which the opium comes. In my community lot of people use poppies. The way they use, grind the poppy followers to make powder and swellow three to four spoons with water. Poppy followers effects same like opium but don't know how much opium amount could be in three to four poppy followers. Now I want to stop it completly, so how i can do it without addmiting my self in addiction centre?
Any one please advise, thanks in advance.

to ska8ter hater....opiat addiction is hard...on the person and the family... methadone is a life saver to everyone who has gone thru the kind of BS most of us have...relapse after relapse methadone is called methadone maintinence for a reason...cuz if u want ur carry home drinks...u wont use drugs...i have problems somtimes with this....u have to go to the pharmacy everyday for 2 months...when they pee test you and your clean, then u get one carry home drink...until 6 months is up u will have 6 carrys providing u are clean ...if u have a dirty pee test with anything in ur system like H or oxy or opium...they take ur carry away..the main point is to not have to go to the clinic everyday so it makes u want to get all ur carrys so u dont have to go except for once a week to see your methadone dr. and get ur prescription...thats how it works...and as for weening off...all methadone clinic have to ween u off if u want to ...u can stay on it for the rest of your likfe if u want...but if my dr told me that i have to stay on it id get a lawsuit going...its your choice....so stop hating on methadone..whats c**p for some, is wonders for others....ive been on meth for 4 months now and i would still be using if i hadnt choosen to go on it....detox didnt work....methadone has...i was takin upwards of 20 80mg tabs a day and 6 2mg clonazapam a night...i should be dead but methadone keeps me clean...stay safe and clean everyone...methadone saves lives !!!.... - toronto guest

My husband and i had been addicted to opiates for 3 years. In July of 2009 i found out i was pregnant and i quit cold turkey... so on top of being pregnant and sick all the time because of that i had to go through the withdrawals and DT's associated with quitting opiates. i stayed clean through my entire pregnancy. When i had my baby dont ask me why but i went back on the opiates?!?!?! well it was about 7 months after i had my baby girl that my husband and i decided we were done, having a baby just really makes you want to be a better person... but we were so bad at that point that just simply stopping was not an option with having to work and take care of a baby 24/7 we could not do so when going through the phases of opiate withdrawal. So through a friend we found out about Methadone and decided what do we have to lose?? so we tried it and it worked, when taken properly it can help. Dr's are no help in this category because if they had it there way they would keep you on it forever!! We took it upon ourselves after alot of research to buy some from a friend. We started out on a larger dosage to fight away the opiate withdrawal once those were out of our system we gradually lowered our dose everyday til we were down to 1/4 of a 10mg pill a day and when we stopped taking them it was 2 or 3 days of muscle soreness and diarrhea (nothing you cant handle). i didnt want to replace one addiction with another because methadone is VERY ADDICTING u think to yourself oh i will just do a little today to get me through and it happens like that for as long as u will let it! But needless to say THANK YOU to methadone for getting us clean!!! I say cold turkey is the worst way to go it's a longggg painful process, but with a little help, and self control it can be easy to get clean!!! But you have to WANT TO get clean in order to, if your doing this for someone else, or any other reason than because you want to it will never happen... i tried sooo many times without actually wanting to be clean and failed miserably!!!!! Just be strong and remember it's for the better, it's to save you money, it's for the people who love you and who you love, and most of all it's for you!!!!!!!

Im on 50 mg methadone a day, and It does NOT get you high after about the first 2 months you are on it, what it DOES do is act like an anti depressant for the true addict, plus it lowers your desire for any other type of drug too. Methadone is no different than Paxil to an addict, so quit talking about addiction replacement, its about staying clean and healthy. If you want to stay on it forever more power to you, and If you want off of it thats great too. But please understand that We dont get high off of methadone, and even when we did its NOTHING compared to true opiate addiction.

Suboxone is a partial agonist, and methadone is a full, so the withdrawels from Methadone is worse than Suboxne, so If you want off of the opiates take Sub, If you want the anti depressant feel of opiates, Methadone is the way to go.

God, thank you for being with me through thick and thin, please help educate my fellow old school abusers who want to get off the illegal and switch to the legal, they need your help just like I do. We trust you God

In your wonderful name and grace, Amen!

Methadone is horrible. I just got off after 2 and half years of using. Now for heroin addiction methadone works sometimes but as for my opinion they need to do away with that stuff. I was at 120 mgs at my worst, it turned me into a selfish,uncaring person who only cared about my fix, sound familer some how? Kinda like the skater hater doosh, sounds like your dealing with some anger and hate. Over what? Someones opinon on drug peddling for profit methadone clinics who's job is to get u on a high as dose as possible so they can squeeze the cash out of you for as long as possible. When I decided I needed off the clinic told me that I couldn't go down faster then 2mgs every 2 weeks until I got to 30 mgs then it would be 1 mg every 21 days or I'd lose my take homes? That would take 6 years? Are kidding me? I eventually found a not for profit clinic that actually gave me the support to get off and didn't penelize me for wanting to get off faster then 6 years. For 2 years I made no or little progress and I'd had enough and found a not for profit and 5 months later I'm off. Today is day 3 of opiate sobriety and I realized something, that the fear of withdrawal is worse than the withdrawal and methadone (unless used as maitence tell you die) is trading one drug for another. Hey skater enjoy feeling like a zombie the rest of your life. Your the exact type of person these clinics pray on. They Get the thoughts in your head that your never gonna be happy again and that death will be better then withdrawal by showing you stats that don't apply to you. The mind and body can fix itself if you give it enough time. Now there are people who are soooooo addicted that they will never get off but that only applies to prob 1% and they should get methadone tell they die but the other 99% of peeps takind mdone shouldve never been prescribed mdone. The clinics are legal drug dealers, bottom line is take your treatment into your own hands DO NOT trust your docs right away, most the people in the clinics have no intention of getting off because its cheaper then heroin and legal and that's how they want it. In my opinion not getting off is not an option. You have to do it or your gonna be numb the rest of your life and skater keep your penis comments to yourself. People are trying to get help here and they don't need some prick who dosent realize that the methadone clinic industry has its long claws deep into him. Seriously your sticking up for man made heroin. Think about it. Sounds like every addict I've ever talked to. Get your sh*t together skater

Sorry skatergirl, I posted the last post and got u mixed up with "guest". I mixed up who I was sticking up for.

hi guy, im not sure if im an addict i have studied addiction community services and i know the different betoewn users and abusers i had a surgery when i was younger and when i got older i start to see the problems after surgery no dr ever listen to me proper so i can explain what my problems are, i went to iran for visit, and also saw a dr he give me 6 pails a day and i had to take 14 pails a day to feel normal i took them for a month but i was seeing other problems so i stoped the pails, and i started to take opium and was feeling better now i have been on it for past 6 months but i don't like taking drugs and i cant afford paying 40 dollars a day for it i relay don't know what to do any more

I have been on opiates for pain for over 10 years i have a back problem that cannot be fixed as well as having ME I am now addicted to meth a drug that did help my pain bringing it down from 7 to 3 on a scale or 1 to 10 it stopped working 2 years ago and its taken me that long to get a detox because i am the wrong sort of addict , infarct my key worker say i am not an addict he says i have a dependancey He is good though within 1 day of getting him he found me a detox and i am signing the paper work today for the detox. 4 weeks of hell to get clean and 6 months of rehab for something a doctor prescribed.. Sean London UK