I am currently taking Cymbalta (60 mg) and have been for a while now and it was working well but recently things have taken a turn for the worse and I am again falling into a deep depression after some personal issues taking place in my life at the moment. It was suggested to me that I take Wellbutrin in addition. 

I want out of this horrible depression. But I am also very anxious about taking these two meds together and I am not even sure it is safe and what side effects I could be expecting. 

Please, does someone have experience & help to offer?

It is good that you are being proactive about informing yourself as a patient, hoping to find out about side effects, etc. One thing to keep in mind is that your physician suggested this to you though, and though of course their word isn't the be all, end all, they do have experience with this.

Would it help you to know that lots of people use Cymbalta and Wellbutrin together at the same time? Both come with side effects sometimes, but then again, they will probably get better with time and you yourself admit that you really need something else to take the edge off.

I would try it and see where you stand after a while.

You might like to know that Wellbutrin is frequently prescribed alongside other antidepressants, including but not limited to Cymbalta, where necessary. In many cases, the Wellbutrin will effectively amplify the effects of the other antidepressant you are taking and lead to significant symptom improvement. 

Hopefully, you will give it a try and you will soon start to get your old self back and feel much better. With continued therapy and close monitoring of side effects, this should not be an issue at all. 

In the meantime, I am sorry you are feeling low right now and we are here to listen if you need it. 

Same story here. I have been on Cymbalta for ages and have recently added Wellbutin. Apart from a great increase in appetite (did not see that one coming) I have been doing well on the combo.

One thing I did want to say is that if you look for patient experiences on the internet, you will find more people saying bad stuff about the Cymbalta/Wellbutrin combo than good stuff simply because if it is working well for them then they don't feel the need to go online to talk about it so much, kwim? This is why I want to share my experience just to make it clear there are many people who do really well with this combo.

Hello again,

I am the person who started this topic. Thanks for replying to my question. It is reassuring to know that many people are using a combination of Wellbutrin and Cymbalta and are doing well on it. The last person made a good point in saying that it is the bad experience people have a knack for talking about as well. That does ease my anxiety about this a bit.

When I first started on Cymbalta, I was not sure what to think about it either and there were definitely side effects that made me consider giving up. Then I got used to it and because my depression improved, I felt good. I was hoping it would keep working but apparently that is not how things work.

I will just bite the bullet then, I think. I am still concerned though.

Absolutely! Cymbalta and Wellbutrin are a tried and tested combination that helps many, many people. 

As for the side effects, some of the more common side effects of wellbutrin are a dry mouth, nausea, stomach discomfort, a headache, dizziness, appetite changes, and mild itching. As you will already know from being on Cymbalta, you don't get every side effect in the book most of the time, and the side effects that you might have are most likely to be temporary. You may even have no side effects at all. 

Don't be afraid of a treatment that can help you feel better. 

Celebrity
As a patient, you have the right to informed consent, and that means being fully informed before you consent to a procedure or medication. I don't want to be rude in any way, quite the opposite, but your asking on this forum whether Wellbutrin and Cymbalta are safe when taken together implies that you have a communication issue with your healthcare provider. If you didn't, you'd have asked that and trusted the answer.

If you are still concerned, I would not "just bite the bullet". I'd keep on asking questions until you receive the answers you need and are able to give a solid "yes, I'd like to try this" or "no, I'd prefer another medication" answer. If you have underlying trust issues with your prescribing physician, I'd also look for another one or get a second opinion.

Rosie

See, I read that Cymbalta and Wellbutrin interact in a big way, increasing your risk of seizures and central nervous system problems. I would not take those two together unless you have completely exhausted other options and are not feeling well enough to function. You especially need to be careful about taking Cymbalta and Wellbutrin together and then also drinking alcohol, which again increases your risk of side effects. It is not enough to look up the side effects for each of these individually. The side effects are different when they are taken together. Be careful!

Yes, there it is: that "unless...". This is exactly what distinguishes clinicians from laypeople. Now, I am not saying all prescribing doctors are good or thorough, which is why we still need to be on guard and act as informed patients, but psychiatrists have access to the latest data on medication interactions and safety as well as insights into the actual patient's state. This, combined with their clinical training and experience, gives them four things we do not have. Yup, that includes the patient himself.

There is such a thing as being too critical. Always remember you are not a doctor. That doesn't mean you cannot think for yourself, but it does mean they have something you do not.

I'm with Spidey on this one. You can literally find something to confirm what you already believe on any topic online, from theories that the Earth is actually flat to theories that vaccines cause autism. The scientific method is not fail safe, but it is the best we have so far. And Wellbutrin and Cymbalta ARE frequently prescribed together for good reason.

If you doubt this, go to peer reviewed studies rather than any place on the internet written by people who know nothing about science.