I have been on Cymbalta 60mg for almost 5 years. It worked fine for my depression but recently in the last 2 years I developed severe gastrointestinal problems. After several tests we figured out it was the Cymbalta causing it. So my Doc weaned me off the Cymbalta and for two months I was good, tad irritable and gastrointestinal problem free but then I crashed mentally with all the discontinuation symptoms I've read about now and worse depression then what I took it for so the Doc put me on a 30mg lowest dose which helped immediately but no sooner did I feel mentally better that I felt the gastroinstestinal probs start up again.

I am looking for a medication that my will insurance cover such as effexor or wellbutrin or zoloft as it did not cover Cymbalta at $168/month and I had to apply to Lilly's Patient Assistance Program which helped but now with having insurance neither will cover it, that will take care of my mild depression and not give me gastrointestinal digestive issues like the severe ones I experienced which felt that were like celiac disease or even chrohns disease symptoms and they are now listed as reported to FDA as of 12/2009 from other people not just me. I did experience some of the usual reported side effects initially but the constipation turned into the gastrointestinal problems for my whole digestive track start to end. If anyone could give me their take on an alternate antidepressant I'd appreciate it. - Kim

Hi Kim, I have been having similar symptoms after taking for cymbalta for a couple years. What tests did the doctors do to figure out that cymbalta was causing your GI problems?

I would like to know also, what test did the Doctor do to come up with cymbalta being the blame for your problems.I have the same medical issues.