I have been taking Cymbalta for about 8 months now. In the last few months it seems that I am drinking more alcohol and when I start drinking I don't stop. I never used to be a big drinker and am wondering if the Cymbalta is causing this. Has anyone else experienced this problem or is it all in my head? I appreciate anyone's input.

I am taking Cymbalta and I always did have a few drinks. And got a great buz on, but since taking Cymbalta, I have had a problem with drinking too much and don't even realize it until waking up the next day. I have had to all but stop drinking alcohol. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have been on Cymbalta for nine months and did not drink the first
3-4 months. I have been noticing lately also that I keep drinking quite
a bit more and feel worse the day after. I am looking into taking
Wellbutrin and Lexapro together as my Dr. suggested and dropping the
Cymbalta. Has anyone considered this? And has anyone been able to
drink moderately while on the combination of the last two mentioned?
Thanks.

Wow! I hadn't connected the two, but just last week I swore off alcohol all together after realizing it was becoming too much of a habit to drink way too much (a problem I had never had before)... now I'm wondering if there is a connection. %-)

ever since i started taking cymbalta, i have been having HORRENDOUS hangovers after a night of drinking...they were never this bad before.

I have been experiencing the same issues with cymbalta. I began taking it a few months ago and just started taking wellbutrin along with it. I never made the connection between my drinking patterns and the medication until now either- I have also quit drinking all together due to the fact that I find I am unable to control my alcohol intake and end up blacking out... now I am going to consider going off the cymbalta!

snar wrote:

Thanks.[/quote

I used to be on Lexapro and Wellbutrin, I liked the results. But after a nervous breakdown/anxiety attack/whatever the heck it was...they (docs) dropped Lexapro and added Cymbalta. They did not warn me about alcohol consumption, but the pyschiatrist across the street warned me strongly.

I kept drinking anyway, I decided to quit drinking at home - I felt I was just dodging a bullet.

I found the same problem with Cymbalta. I was never a big drinker, but I just forgot to stop drinking wine when I was taking Cymbalta. Last week, I totaled my car and sustained injuries. I immediately told my doctor to take me off of Cymbalta.

Good Luck

WOW, now we know why they say "do not drink alcohol" with Cybalta
fda.gov/cder/drug/InfoSheets/patient/duloxetinePT.htm
I've been on cymbalta for a few years now. I have experienced these problems as well. I guess there are 2 choices:

1)Stop Drinking
2)Stop Cymbalting

I have had a terrible hangover for two days and am also having trouble controlling my alcohol intake. I have never been a big drinker before taking cymbalta. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not.

This is the last day I'm going to have a hanover! I have the same issues that everyone has mentioned. Over drinking! I can't seem to stop and then it hits me like a truck. I have a bruise on my back from running into something as I fell down trying to get out of bed last night. Yikes! The worse hangovers ever and I'm almost depressed from it all. Alot of good the Cymbalta is doing while drinking.

I too have been taking Cymbalta, me about 3 months. I feel like I need to drink more to "catch a buzz", and then when I do I feel horrible the next morning. I have gone through 1 1/2 bottles of wine, practically felt fine until the next morning. I am giving up wine consumption for lent, so I will see if this helps at all! Good luck with your situation.

whoa. I also have been drinking alot more on Cymbalta. I drink every day...I NEVER used to do that. Also, I drink until I get sick several times a month. My husband is getting frustrated with me too. I have thought several times that I am becoming an alcoholic. I've decided to only drink at home and only 1-2 glasses of wine per session...hopefully to phase out the drinking altogether.

I also am thinking that the alcohol has made me gain almost 30 pounds over the last year.

I agree with all the post's. I started taking Cymbalta 3 months ago, and once I start drinking I cant stop until I'm inebriated. Im asking the doctor to put me back on paxil.

I have been on lexapro for 3 years and noticed the last two years drinking much more and having the desire to drink every day. I just switched to Cymbalta and was hoping it would not have the same effect.