I had a hemorroidectomy 12 days ago and am severely consitpated....filled to the brim. (A full abdominal series x-ray confirmed this 2 days ago) My family doctor is concerned that the stool softeners, daily liters of water, walking, MoM, then subsequently prescribed Lactulose at full dose has only produced 4 stools the size of Walnuts. He said that an enema at this point is entirely out of the question. He, (with some hesitation, I must add, as my surgeon is unavailable for consultation) has now prescribed Oral Fleet Phospho-Soda. Given the horrifically painful experience of passing these small stools over the course of 4 days, I am absolutely terrified that this stuff is going to do some major damage.
Has anyone had experience with longer term severe constipation after hemorrhoidectomy? Has anyone taken the Fleet Oral in this case?
I'm looking at the unopened package in front of me with sheer terror.

I know that the post above is from two years ago, but I thought I would answer it in case anyone else was wondering. My doctor told me it was safe, but not for daily use because it's very dehydrating. Hopes this helps others! :-D

Thank you, I needed the follow up