I am day 5 post hemorrhoidectomy and for the most part have managed well.

Here in Australia the doctors tend to keep you hospitalised until you are able to use your bowel. I was surprised that no special prep was required prior to surgery and no enema given. I had several large internal haemorrhoids removed using the standard procedure. 

I did have pain following the operation but nothing like that described in many of the posts here. I was kept in hospital and pain managed with a combination of narcotics and paracetamol. The narcotics (endone) however, caused constipation and hence I ended up day 4 and still in hospital not being able to poop. I had metamucil and stool softener and  several increasing doses of laxative which only served to make me feel extremely distended and finally my doctor relented to giving me 2 litres of bowel preparation formula usually used for pre-colonoscopy. I became VERY distressed as the effects started to kick in as I felt the extreme pressure in my lower abdomen increase over a few hours with still no result. Finally, after several false alarms , my body kicked in and I had my first BM. With it came pain and the feeling of giving birth but also EXTREME relief. The pain, although significant, was manageable. I then had PROFUSE diarrhoea over the next few hours with accompanying bowel incontinence.

Thankfully, once the diarrhoea stopped, I was allowed home. So it's day 5 today and I'm feeling quite comfortable but awaiting the next use of my bowel. Hoping it won't be too bad but am prepared with salt bath and painkillers as necessary.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the things will go smoothly from here on

Ok..Now up to day 8....

As I had completely cleared my bowel following the colonoscopy treatment on day 5 it took a couple of days to feel the need to poop again. Day 7 things started to kick in again and I must say that it was a painful process. LOTS of bleeding still but only with the BM and only a small amount of discharge otherwise. Managing with sitz baths and paracetemol. I also soaked a sanitary pad in water and froze it to use as an icepack..this worked pretty well. I have been using baby wipes which I have found to be soothing.

I find that I cannot sit on the toilet but have used others suggestion of squatting ..this has helped enormously.

I have been drinking water like a fish( around 2.5litres), taking softener, fiber capsules and eating high fiber foods (including lots of prunes and prune juice) and I think this is key to getting through this surgery. I could not imagine trying to pass a hard stool.

I feel close to normal in between bowel movements although I did have a few spasms last night.

I plan on taking another week off work as I know I will be run off my feet once I go back.

Up to Day 11..
I had my first checkup with my surgeon yesterday. All is going to plan so far but I am in significantly more discomfort today after his internal examination of the surgical site :(
Apparently I have a skin tag still visible which may need to be removed under local anaesthetic in 2-3 months time if it does not subside....damn!
I am finding that it is taking several attempts to fully clear my bowel and that I am not getting a lot of warning prior to the event. He said this should settle.
Back at work in another 6 days..not looking forward to it

Day 14..

Will be glad when I am "normal" again

Ahhh Day 15...I've finally turned the corner

Had almost a normal day today..slight pain with BM but feeling well with more energy...so much better!

I have added additional stool softener to the lactulose prescribed for the last 2 days and have been able to maintain soft-formed stools but i am at last able to clear my bowel in 1 -2 attempts...feels soooooo much better.

Minimal discharge now.

Hopefully smooth sailing from here.

I am extremely grateful to this forum for all of the information it has supplied. I was very scared prior to sugury but it has provided some very useful tips on minimising the impact...it isn't for the feint-hearted but it is possible to get through it.

I am looking forward to the benefits now :)

Judy, great posts. Im on day 6 (read my experience so far). Hope I can graduate to day 15 unscathed.

Thanks Tobytoby...

You are the home run now..should get easier day by day..
I had to laugh today..I am on another forum and a girl who had just surgery on her trachea made her doctor a cake in the shape of a trachea, including a scalpel and blood details.......
I just wondered if I should make one for my doctor in the form of a haemorrhoid....hehehehe...I think NOT!
You've gotta laugh :)

I had surgery to remove my hemorrhoids 11days ago.

first few days after the surgery I was cruising, pain was manageable. Day 4 I had my first bowl movement. Jesus Christ!!! The most painful experiance one my life after that I was averaging one bm per day with decreasing levels of pain over time. 

Got to day 6 and the majority of the pain associated with the bm had eased I.e the after burn had stopped and I only really felt pain when the stool was passing the "event horizon"

Day 7 and I was feeling confident, started increasing my food intake, felt a bowl movement coming on went to the toilet and passed a stool the size of a pebble but felt like a tennis ball. Went again on day 8 and 9 same thing but thin. Now it's day 11 and I'm constipated. Have increased my actilax from 2x 20mm to 3x 20mm per day and took 2x dulcolx pills prior to bed. Kinda freaking out, is this normal at day 11?? Can't find too many other people who've had the same problem.

Rang my dr and he said keep up the softearners and lactalous. Says there's not much you can do. i thought I should be getting better by now not worse!!!

any advise would be mucappreciated!

thanks

You can check out my comments on another thread (Scar_tissue_after_hemorrhoid_surgery_t309565.html) to get more details. I had problems with scar tissue building up so that my BMs were no bigger around than a pencil and I had to really strain to get a little out. So I increased stool softeners to keep it very loose as that was the only way to get rid of it. When the doctor examined me, there was immense pain even when he just tried to insert his pinky. So I've been using dilators. It's been almost a week, but it (hopefully) is working. I'm praying this is not a temporary improvement. My surgery was the first week of December.

GI doctor used anoscope to examine my rectum and told me I had internel hemorrhoid which was "trace or minimum hemorrhoid" 6 months ago. She told me  that my hemorrhoid  did not need bending and should continue to take a lot fiber daily.   Does herb medicine useful/

Try to watch what you eat. Avoid foods that are hard to digest like meat, cheese or chocolate. have more fruits, vegetables and high fiber cereal. Try to walk each day, a few times a day, even if only pacing  in your room. drink plenty of water. I found it helped to have about 12 -16 oz. of water with each dose of laxative or stool to oftener too. I also found using a heating  pad on my stomach heloped relax muscles.  Hot water for sitz bath can also help. Hang in there....