my 1 and a half toddler has had cronich constipation for more than 4 months now we gave her laxatives and put her on a special diet to help her pass soft stools , did the stomach massage , sitz bath but she got to the point where she withholds her self so long until she gets even harder stools.... she has fissures now and i went to see every doctor i can ...what can i do

My daughter had chronic constipation from the time she was 6 months old -- when we started her on formula. She was rock hard constipated and ripping. We tried all the diets and laxatives and nothing helped. It took us 18 months, 3 doctors, and a couple internet articles to finally come up with the diagnosis of Lactose/Whey intollerance.

We took her off milk completely and within 3 days her constipation was gone. She hasn't had an anal fissure since.

If nothing else has worked it's worth a shot!

I have 3 yr old who has had chronic constipation since Nov. 2006. Went to fam. dr. numerous times, he said give her fibre, fibre fibre. Fibre only compounded the problem and then we were told its psychosymatic on my daughters part. She was so bad that a walk in pediatric clinic dr. blew a fuse at me because my dr. didn't send my little one for a referral. Needless to say she almost had a coronary when I told her family dr. said it was psychosymatic. In two weeks time I had to give my little one 2 pediatric fleet enemas (horrible) and feed her 1 tsp senokot liquid stool softener a night and 2 tbsps of mineral oil a day. Senokot tastes brutal, so mix in Choc. pudding, butterscotch pudding and fruit juice. Doesn't taste too bad! Don't use mineral oil though as it absorbs fat soluble from vitamins in the intestine and also steals vitamins important to your body and your body can't replace them. with this in mind in can cause deficincies so I use flax seed oil that I buy in a health food store and it is stored in the fridge. This is really good as it helps lubricate the intestinal tract and MOM....it also helps those fissures as the anus is also lubricated when the soft stool passes and it won't tear anymore as the skin isn't stretched out to accomodate large bm's. Go onto google and check out flax seed oil, mineral oil, and senokot. I urge you to talk to nutritionist in health food store. Good luck!

I also have a 3 year old daughter with chronic constipation and she has had it since she was 2 weeks old (when I quit breast feeding) I have been to family doctors and even a specialist and they put her on this powder called Golitly. This powder is used for surgury, to clean you out. It worked for a bit, but now we are back to the same thing again. I don't know what to do. She is always in so much pain and the doctors are not doing anything. I have also tried laxitives, gas releif drops, suppositories, and fleet enemas. It only works for a short period and then it is back to the same thing all over again. I think I will try what Roo had to say. If anyone else has this same issue with their little one and knows what might help, PLEASE let me know. Thanks

My daughter is four years old. she has had what the doctors say is constipation. I dont see how my child can be constipated for four years. i have taken her to doctor after doctor and to see different specialists as well and i get no where. they have tested her for Ciliac Disease, Hersprungs and a few other diseases. and we still get no where. My daughter takes about 6 hours of constant pushing and horrible pain to pass her stool and that is after an enema. i have cooked her food in mineral oil, we have done the laxatives, fiber, nothing, to now she has been on a prescribed stool softener for two years and it makes little difference. she has blood in her stool, she gets fissures, she has even had seizures from straining her body so much. i dont know what to do anymore. i cant believe that this is "normal" even when she was born she did not pass her first stool for two days and was in the NICU from it. doctors just look at me like i have lost my mind but i can not accept this as being normal. i cant get her to eat for days, she complains that she is always tired. I dont know what to do.

My son is 4 1/2 yrs old. He has been 'constipated' for at least 3 1/2 yrs. Maybe even longer, that is just when we found out after doing xrays. He got constipated and we thought he was 'fixed' because he was going poop everday. He was always cring (too young to talk about it) and his belly was really hard still. Turns out when he got constipated, it stretched out his intestines in a spot and the poop gets stuck there. He poops around the pocket. The Childrens GI specialist had him on Senna syrup wich cleaned him out. Then he went on Miralax. They said he would need to take it for a while until his intestine shrunck back down, but still has not.

My son is 4 1/2 yrs old and has been 'constipated' for atleast 3 yrs. at age 1 he was constpated, we gave him supositories and a few enimas and thought he was fixed because he was pooping every day. He was very cranky and his belly was hard. Xrays were done and we were told his intestine was stretched out in a spot from when he was constipated. That pocked was filled up with poop and he was going to the bathroom around it. The Children's GI Specialist had him on Senna syrup ( a week on, a week off) for a month or so. This cleaned out his pocket. They said to give him Miralex daily until his intestine shrinks back. That was 3 yrs ago. Every time I try weening him off the meds his 'pocket' would get filled back up. I was advied it could take years. Out of nowhere, he started smearing in his underwear. Did extrays again and found the pocket is full of poop again. This is when he was on the meds too. I feel like I am getting the run around, the docs dont know what to tell me...

I would suggest to ask your family dr. to refer you to an intestine specialist and take a scan from her intestines. Since as far as I know hers might be too long and the bowel get's stuck in her colon, that might be one of the reason. No harm to check.

Pls. let me know if you get any result.

Thanks,

AJ

Have you had your child tested for hypo thyriod. It may explain constipation and chronic fatigue.

Put your child on a high fiber vegan diet for 30 days and watch the changes that will instantly happen!!! What is your child eating is the FIRST question I would ASK MYSELF as a parent!! Hippocrates said, let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food!

good luck...

i have had the same problem as most but i use gripe water its an all natural supplement that my daughter has used since she was 2 weeks old she is now 19 months and you can find it at walgreens and some rite aid locations, i myself have ibs and after many rounds and tests, drs and 33 years later i was lucky enough to be prescribed amitiza which works wonders for myself.

my 2 yr old toddler is bleeding after she poops and i didnt do anything bout it cause it stopped for a month and now its doing it again and i think she has hemmoriods too cause thers a black thing sticking out of her butt and it goes away after 5 min but shes not crying when she poops or anything and her stool was really soft what can i do to make this stop? please e mail me at _[removed]_

I agree - have her tested for hypothyroid as I have the same problems now that I am hypo. - but ask for the results as some doctors don't recognize a hypothyroid - take it to a naturopath or read up on it yourself. Ask for T3 and T4 as well as TSH.

I just wanted to point out that cutting out glutenous foods, dairy, and all packaged foods could help. Especially foods that contain artificial sweeteners - including gum! I would try an elimination diet.

You can also have her tested for food intolerances? - gemoscan.com

In 3 of my kids we have struggled with constipation problems.  The typical cut the dairy, and drink prune juice, and eat prunes is a good start for mild constipation.  However, to get to the root of the problem a good start would be a product called Dr. Shultze's (Not quite sure of the spelling) Intestinal Formula #3.  This is a GREAT all-around cleaner and cleanser and easy enough on toddler to be used every day!  Other means of help (we are waiting for our order of this intestinal formula right now...are to try a pedia-lax or mira-lax (adjust to toddler).  Hope this helps :)

My son is 5 years old and we have been to varioius specialists for the past 5 years.  He has been on tings for gas and constipation since birth and the problems have progressively gotten worse.   He has been on miralax since age 2 and on laxatives, enemas, suppositories, and three hospitalizations in one year because of this.  We are now with one of the top pediatric specialists in the country for this problem and I hope they can figure it out.  I don't feel it is normal to have a young child on three senna and 3 caps of miralax everyday just to produce one bowel movement per day...seems excessive.  We are going later this month to be tested for ciystic fibrosis, which was a shock for me, but appearantly there are some similar characteristics...my son has a weak immune system (Someone could sneeze at the other end of the school and he would catch it) and gets easily fatigued.  It kills me as a mom that I can not solve this and he can be a healthy, normal 5 year old child.  I am going to check into the hypo thyroid testing as I saw that on a post.  My son is a picky eater, but I have kept him on supplements and it does not matter what we add or take away from his diet, it never seems to change.  It feels so hopeless, but I refuse to give up...he has the right to function as a normal child.