I had a hemorrhoidectomz 8 weeks ago. Ever since then I have been on and off severely constipated. Ever since surgery my hole has been narrower, and the stools have been as thin as pencils. I thought that maybe this would eventually go away but it still hasn't. The doctor said that I have anal stenosis (the narrowing) and also now some internal hemorrhoids from all of the constipation. I take stool softeners 3 times a day and drink 8 to 10 glasses of water, and stay away from all constipating foods such as cheese and meats. The doctor gave me a prescription for nitroglycerine gel and said to try to manually make the hole bigger on my own. The alternative is anal dilation surgery. Does anyone have a similar experience at all with the narrowing (stenosis) after hemorrhoidectomy? Would the nitroglycerine work? What are the major complications and recovery from anal dilation surgery? Did anyone here have it before?

I have just gone through a heavy internal and external nemorrhoidectomy ( doctor told me I had 2 golf balls inside the rectum, and big external hemmorrhoids , my rectus was cut in 5 parts with 20 cms length each cut , the doctor told me he spent more than 3 meters in stiches, pain was terible after the srgery specially after the fisrt time in the bath room, I was told by my dr. that sometimes the surgery need a second one to adjust the caliber of the anus. If it is your case do not hesitate to do it, it would not be as painful as the first time. Hope this help you. Agustin.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

It's been about 6 weeks since my surgery. When I went in for a check-up last week, my doctor asked about the size of my stool. I told him it was quite thin still -- although it is a little thicker than a pencil.

My daily routine included taking a glass of prune juice with fiber added into it. He asked that I stop with the prune juice and just take water with the fiber instead to make my stool harder and thicker. This is because you don't want your stool too soft and watery.

The other option was to stick your finger up your rectum in order to make the size of the anus bigger. He did that at the doctor's office and it hurt like crazy so I'm not about to do that either.

I'm going to start drinking water with fiber instead of the prune juice and we'll see what happens. My anus area is still swollen externally but the good thing is that there is no pain with BMs.

Hope this helps.

It's been 3 months since I had my hemorrhoidectomy. I too have anal stenosis. I've done the water-fiber thing, but it didn't work. My doctor told me that I had to use my finger to dilate myself. I tried that, but my fingers aren't big enough to make any progress. Basically, my doctor told me that if I don't make the opening larger, scar tissue will form, and the only other alternative will be surgery. He also told me that if I thought recovery from the hemorrhoidectomy was bad, this surgery was worse. The complications are not nice either. The risk of incontenance (can't control bowel movements) is about 10%. That scared me.

What I did - I went to a sex shop and bought a small anal plug (it's a sex toy, but I thought if they sell it for that specific purpose, it just might help). With lots of lubricant, I slowly inserted it and began increasing the size of my opening. It hurt like crazy, but there has been progress. It's been 6 weeks now. While my doctor still isn't completly satisfied, he is pleased to see how much progress I've done. He did tell me that this is a long process and I may have to continue to do this for a few months. He really liked my idea of an anal sex toy - thought it was quite ingenious.

I also recommend you do a lot of research on the internet regarding anal stenosis. I did. While fibre and laxatives may help in the interim, only dilation and surgery will correct anal stenosis. I know it hurts, but the alternatives (ie, living with this for the rest of your life or possibly living with incontenance) are not worth it. Hope this helps. Let me know how things go.

I read ur post today only. I also had the haemmoroidectotomy surgery 3 years ago. Even after the surgery I feel pain in my anal area,
So I went to the doctor for coonsultation. Some doctors told that I have anal stenosis, some said fissure. they presribed me Nitroglycerine for fissure. I don't know exactly why I have pain . What I feel is I have to apply a lot of pressure for passing motion
and pain in my anal area and sometimes even incontinence..Can u help me out..

This story of mine will help whom ever that read this with anal stenosis. I had a hemmoroidactomy about 3 months ago, recovering from it was very painful I agree. But about a month and a half into I started noticing that when I would pass stool it was even more painful on the anus. Then I started noticing it becoming smaller, every time I would pass stool I would have to push with everything I have just to get a stool about the size of a m&m to come out. I was losing alot of weight and would not eat anything solid in fear of being constipated. I went to the doctors office and I told him about my problem, he had to see for himself how serious the problem. So he manually check my anus and it was not plesent! It hurted!! But he confirm that I have anal stenosis. He said I would have to let him insert his finger in my anus or I do it myself at home. Well I said I would do it at home of course. After about 2 weeks of trying to dilated my anus myself saw little to no progress, I went back to his office and I told him I can't do it anymore I need to go to surgery, while I'm waiting for my date to come up I came across this site about people with my problem and I saw that nobody replay about having this surgery done. Well I had my anal stenosis surgery done about 4 days ago. Let's me say I don't know why i didn't have this done alot sooner surgery took about 45 mins when I woked up I didn't feel any pain at all. I went home the same day a bit drowsy but that's about it. Now here the big test my first time to pass stool after my dilation surgery. I felt no pain!! I have not felt like that in months. I was so relief and happy I actually close my eyes and thank the lord for making everything right. It's been a few days after I had the dilation and I'm passing stool fine. Before I had my dilation surgery I was kind of scared I was going to be in bed for weeks like when I had my hemmoroidactomy. But it was the total opposite I just whish somebody had posted this up when I was on here reading it I would be at peace about having it done. So this message is to those that have anal stenosis and don't know what to do? Go have the second surgery!! Trust me! Don't waste time trying to painfully dialate it yourself... I hope this help those with the problem.

What kind of surgery did you have? I am suffering from anal stenosis right now, it is terrible.
please help.

dare2dream

I had open hemorroidectomy 5 weeks ago. I have noticed that my stools are becoming thinner and 2 days ago I passed my first "hard" stool which was not painful but very hard to get out. I was thinking that straining might cause piles!!!. I looked for the first time at my anus in a mirror and was shocked. I have tried inserting a finger but I could only just manage to get it in, dilation was not an option. I have booked an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow. After the pain from the initial surgery I am dreading more surgery so the post above from "Guest" has relieved my dread a little. I will let you know how I get on.

I'm glad i found this site. I need to write this down to keep my sanity. I had stapler hemorrhoid surgery on the 15th Feb 2011. After a month, i had trouble pooping and when i finally did it was barely the size of my finger. I had to visit the toilet 4 -5 times just to empty my bowels and each time was straining like hell. So I freaked out went to see my doc who diagnosed me with anal stenosis. He cant do anything and referred me to a collorectal surgeon in Kuala Lumpur.

For fear of another surgery, i went to see a famous physician instead. So for the pass 3 weeks i was on herbal supplement for motion, stool softener (lactulose), very soft diet, veggies, fruits, lots of liquids. But it didnt help much i still got to strain and someday when there's no stool for 2 days, i'll panic and just pop stronger laxatives (senokot). So every 2 days my stool was either stil not able to pass thru or very diarrhea like. It was hell and to make matters worst my hemmorhoid has returned and now prolapsing fr my anus.

So finally i went to see another famous surgeon in Sime Darby Medical Centre, KL on the 5th april 2011. When he checked the hole was only about 0.8mm. He proposed that i get by with surgery. What he will do is to break and take out 2 stapler and it should immediately loosen a little bit. Currently the stapler is holding all the tissue together and cannot be stretched. His desired size would be around 1.2-1.5 cm.

However after much thought, yesterday (6 apr 2011) i went to see another collorectal surgeon in Damansara Specialist Hospital just to get a second opinion. He wanted me to try the natural way so i was put on a high fiber diet (fybogel) after my meal and he wanted me to eat as normally as i would. The idea was to have the stool do the dilatation. So i tot what the heck since i've been doing that for the last 3 weeks, another week will not make a difference so i was willing to try it.

So this morning (7 april 2011) i went to the toilet and with all the straining, blood was gushing out from my anus!! Apparently i have now trigger the internal hemmorhoid as well! It wasnt painful only really scary because it's like you're peeing blood.

So today i went back to see the surgeon in Sime Darby Hospital and decided to proceed with the surgery in order to avoid any more collateral damage. My surgery is scheduled this saturday (9 april 2011) and i hope i can fix this problem once and for all. i hope it will be a successful surgery and i can be normal again.

I will keep you guys posted and just want you all to know that you are not alone and that this problem can be fixed!!

I saw my GP and he inspected my passage and told me me I do not have stenosis. I am still not sure but did take the advice offered above to buy a but plug. I have been manually widening my anus over the past 2 weeks and have found it to be very beneficial. I bought the smallest plug available which at it's widest point is about the size of my erect penis (I am not a large man!) I haven't been able to insert it  fully yet, but it is progressively getting there. It is quite painful but waiting for a big harg poo might be more painful. I am lucky that my bowel movements are always quite soft so they squeeze through what opening is available. Still using wet wipes first but am now able to use tissue to wipe my bottom, I think I am getting there. 8 weeks since surgery. A few weeks ago I would have advised not to have the surgery done but now I can go and have a poo and it's done in a minute, not 20 minutes like before, then having to put everything back up inside.

I don't have piles anymore. It was VERY painful having the operation but I am now nearly symptom free. Good luck every else. xxx

I did not proceed with the surgery, cancelled last minute. Apparently the blood was due to the manual dilatation done by the surgeon earlier on and  wasnt my hemorrhoid. So my surgeon asvised to continue with the fiber drinks that i'm taking. It's been 2 weeks since on my fiber drinks and stool softener. I try to stay away from meaty stuff but other than that i'm eating quite normal. and prune juice does help alot too. My stool now is firm but not too soft. ... still got to strain alittle bit when i go.  The surgeon says usually the scar tissue will soften in about 3 months time... So I'm hoping the size of my rectum will dilate in time maybe see another 1-2 months

Hi this is from me. I did not proceed with the surgery, cancelled last minute. Apparently the blood was due to the manual dilatation done by the surgeon earlier on and  wasnt my hemorrhoid. So my surgeon asvised to continue with the fiber drinks that i'm taking. It's been 2 weeks since on my fiber drinks and stool softener. I try to stay away from meaty stuff but other than that i'm eating quite normal. and prune juice does help alot too. My stool now is firm but not too soft. ... still got to strain alittle bit when i go.  The surgeon says usually the scar tissue will soften in about 3 months time... So I'm hoping the size of my rectum will dilate in time maybe see another 1-2 months

Hi, tot i'd just drop in to update you guys. I went ahead with the corrective surgery in april. I had dilatation done under GA at the stenosis area and the doctor manage to break 1 ring and everthing opens up instantly. It was a success and i'm glad i did the surgery otherwise i'd still be wondering until today. It's been 3 months now and even tho it's not back to like before but at least i'm able poop everyday.... All the best to you guys.

Can you pls. let me have the dr's name and address, tel no: so that I can go for the dilation. Thanks

I had Hemorrhoid and had a PPH (Procedure for Prolapse and Hemorrhoids)to correct it. After the procedure, I had hard time (almost cannot) passing stool. Doctor advised me to use dilator. Tried it for few months, work a bit but still quite difficult to pass large stool. One day I tried drinking a one litre bottle of water in the morning before going to toilet, and managed to pass stool without the help of the dilator. I discover that drinking water (at least 1 litre) quickly will help to pass your stool very easily. Remember, must drink the water quickly (beware not to get choked), this is because if you drink water slowly, it will get absorbed into your body, but if you drink it quickly it will be released out as urine or into your stool. It makes your stool soft, and you can pass it very easily. Try it. It works. Good luck!