Hi. 41 yr old male. Had 3 large internal hems removed on 1-2-13 with harmonic scalpel,no stitches. Went home same day with percs. Terrible pain but i expected it. Baths helped, percs did not.had first bm in tub on the 5th. Hurt but not too bad. Lots of blood. The next morning i awoke to a very large swelling on ths left side of my anus about the size of a large grape. I got my wife up and we went to the er. The er dr said it was a thrombosed hemorrhoid, and he would lance and drain it and i would feel better. Well i questioned it and asked him to call my surgeons office and see if thats what they wanted done. He left and came back and said the on call dr said to go ahead. Well, he cuts it and then says huh! Weird no blood clot in it. Then he just leaves and i never saw him again. Im i agony now... nurse comea in and says they are relaesing me to go home. I say my azz you are. Finally they admit me for the night. Got dilaudid shots every 2 hrs for pain. Didnt touch the pain, but put me to sleep for 2 hr at a time. Next day surgeon says hes not coming to look at me, that he can take care of it in his office. Im crying real tears now in pain. Finally my wife calls him personally and threatens him and he agreed to come see me. He takes one look and says the er dr cut viable tissue and he would have to do another surgery to repair it. He also says that nobody called the on call dr to get approval to lance it. I have surgery the next day , and go home the following day in agony. Had several follow ups with surgeon and he says itz healing but slow. Fast foward to today and i still bleed with every bm. And i have bad cramping pain that feels like its up inside on the left side of rectum about 2 inches inside. It lasts 6-9 hrs after every bm. I had colonoscopy 3 weeks ago by surgeon that did both surgeries and he siad all looks well, just a very small spot left to heal. Im at my wits end... im back to work the last 2 weeks but ive had to leave early several times. ( im a diesel engine mechanic ) dr wont approve any more time off even with the bleeding and pain. He prescribes no creams or pain pills. Hes pretty much washed his hands of me. Will this ever get better?

I dont want to sound desperate, but.... im 2 days shy of 12 weeks post op and i still bleed post BM. And the pain today has lasted from 10 A.M. until now 6:22, and its just starting to ease up. This cant be right. I have an appt with the surgeon that did both surgeries thursday, but i dont see how that is gonna help. He has no compassion for me, offers no advice other than its just healing slow. Offers no pain pills or muscle relaxers. Nothing. Im lost. I dont know what to do. The only other colorectal surgeon in my area wont see me because this guy already operated on me. Is i t possible to get ptsd from a surgery? I feel my life is ruined. It feels hopeless. I think im gonna lose my job to top it all off, dr wont give me anymore time off from work and i cant work full weeks. I know the internet isnt the best place to go, but is there anyone out there that has had a similar experience and fully recovered? I feel like im gonna snap.

I am also bleeding at nine weeks post hemorrhoidectomy. My doctor also keeps telling me not to worry it's just that the healing is slow. I am unable to buy that reassurance now. Unfortunately most of us feel alone after this surgery as the doctors are not as compassionate as we would expect them to be.

I have recently started using an over-the-counter ointment for fissures. There are no positive results so far but you can also give it a shot.

Well, thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear your not doing well either. I saw the surgeon again and he said he dont know whats wrong with me. I should behealed. But he said that he absolutly will not do another surgery on me and that he will not treat me for pain any longer. He dont know what i can do and has no suggestions for another dr to see... so here is whre im at now: i went for hem surgery to repair bleeding with BM and occasional pain associated with BM also. Now i have bleeding with BM with pain that lasts for 6-9 hrs after every BM. As is was walking out of the exam room the dr stopped me and said " you have lost 3 months of your life to this, you need to just learn to deal with it and not let it control your life." REALLY??? I COULDA BEAT HIM TO WITHIN AN INCH OF HIS LIFE. Needless to say, my response to him assured me that i will never see him again. I have an apointment for a gastroenterologist on 5-02. And i also get to see a neurologist on the 7th of may for the numbness in my left leg from hip to thigh, that i have had since the second surgery. Surgeon dont know what caused that either....

I had 3 external ones removed on 23 April 2013. Lanced off with Tear-Drop cut, no stitching. Went home the same day. I was told to take nurofen or paracetamol as it helps reduce swelling, which I did, and told to sit in salted very warm water. Also, one sachet of Movicol daily. I did all this. First bm was 24 hrs post surgery, not too painful. Diet changed and all processed food and carbs taken out. Operation was on a Tuesday and back to work the following Monday. Today is day 9 post surgery. Still have a bit of pain during and immediately afer bm but doesnt last more than 5 mins. Only had minimal bleeding, which has now stopped....but there is a slight yellowish leak which i will show the Dr when i see him for my 2 week check up post op. Other than that, its going well. Dr Philip Middleton was the surgeon if anyone wants to know.

I had a secondary hemorrhage after my hemorroidectomy. I had to go back to surgery fora second repair. I had a blood transfusion andc went into cardiac arrest twice. I now have a fractured sternum. None of this is as bad as the pain from having a BM. I sob everytime. Doc told me it could go on 6 months. I did get fired from my job over this and cannot collect unemployment since im not released for regular activities. Hemorroidectomy ruined my life!

I.m not the only one I..m 9/weeks I still bleed and am still in pain after bm and nothing helps .

Hi everyone. I may have some advice. I've had hemorrhoids removed three times and thist last instance has left me in the same position as many of you. Four months post op, and I continue to have pain and bleeding from bowel movements. The pain last for hours as well before easing up. Now for my advicee. The following are three treatments options, hopefully your doctor mentioned them to you, or you should find a new one lol.

1. "Colace" - a stoll softener.

This will loosen your stool and prevent tearing of scabs, allowing healing to occur.

2. Nitroglycerin 0.2% ointment - for anal fissures (this was my life saver)

Chronic pain and bleeding following a hemorrhoidectomy may be due to tearing of an anal sphincter. The reflex of tightening up in respone to the pain from passing stool through the sphincter across the healing lesion causes tearing over and over again. Nitroglycerin will help relax the sphincter and prevent this response.  

3. A surgical procedure is also an option. You can be sedated and the physician will use a scope to pinpoint the location of the bleeding tissue and cauterize it.

The one positive I take from all of these posts are that I AM NOT ALONE, I had my first major heamorrhoidectomy on the 28th of Nov 14, my second the fix an infection (fistulotomy or something, had to have an open wound draining for 6 weeks above my anus) and to fix another roid on the 20th of Jan 15.

Let me just say that I have never been in so much pain, yes I fear for my job (no more sick leave left, no more holiday leave left, all used up due to this pain) and I am still in agony every day 24/7, I am a TV cameraman and i cannot stand to shoot an interview for more than 5 minutes (i have to squat to releave the pain). I have bleeding still and am going to the toilet at least 15-20 times a day for little explosions of gas and leakage, a light yellow if not dark blood, also peeing at least the same amount per day, 15-20 times. If I do have a stool it's long and very thin. I have a very numb buttock and leg like another has mentioned, my feet also feel numb like curculation is weak.

I also feel majorly depressed, it's a very metally as well as physically draining pain, constant aching shooting, sharp pain. And like so many of you, My Colon Dr. says "SLOW HEALING", No more pain killers prescribed (even though now is the MOST painful) just the rectogeasic cream which is very expensive for little to no comfort. I have also lost 13+kg in this time and cannot seem to put it back on, a healthy 86kg for a 40yo down to around 73kg.

I have had CT scans, MRI scans, blood, stool and urine tests, a colonoscopy and all sorts of other tests and they say I'm fine. I AM NOT FINE, just like we all say, we are in pain and no-one seems to care, after all its just a little pain in the arse for us is'nt it?. life WAS better WITH Heammorhoids (i suffered for 10-15 years), life IS UNBEARABLE after a heammorhoidectomy or two (don't care about the correct spelling, its caused me enough pain). 

With the hope that someday life will be normal again, thanks and good luck.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Adam.

I had hemorrhoid surgery since 10 weeks and i still have bleeding,
Is rhis normal??

Ok people, I had this surgery 3 weeks ago and went horse riding yesterday. A week after surgery I was in worse pain than childbirth! There were three things that saved my butt (literally). FIRST: you need to buy non stick wound dressings and wedge them snug up against your bum. These are literally a lifesaver. They keep the wound dry and drained. I felt like my butt was on fire and constantly spasming before I found these. Change them 4 or 5 times a day. Do not be without one for a second! SECOND: Vaseline! Before each bm, coat the area in vaseline. It seals it from the burning sensation of feaces on a raw wound. THIRD: (all the doctors reading this will have a heart attack now) invest in a soft rubber ear syringe. When you need to have a bm, insert about 40 ml of warm water up into bowel (painful as hell, but makes an incredible difference) wait for 5 minutes and then go. Everything is soft and watery and it is diluted so it doesn't burn as much. Straight into the warm salty bath after, wash and dry the area and tuck another wound dressing snug up against the wound. I had my first 'unassisted' bm four days ago, and I'm well on the way to healing. Hope this helps. PS chuck away the codeine...it makes you constipated. Just drink plenty of water and eat prunes, kiwi fruit and anything with rolled oats and take panadol and neurofen.

Hi I had hemmriod surgery also about a month and two weeks now I feel good and changed my whole diet to fiber etc.. Take stool softness and fiber drink twice a day ..0nly problem j gave is when I go to the bathroom I pass drops of blood after a stool movement .. Is it normal ? I'm going back yo my doctor to check it out ...

Hi there, would u please let me know how r u feeling now?

I had my hemmriod about two months ago for e external hemmriods still in pain and after bowel movement

Yes it is normal because it's still healing they told me ... Same thing with me I take Advil after I go because it stings and I spot blood sometimes too .. I'm still healing after external hemmriod operation because it's in your butt ... Good luck let me know ok