I am 31 yrs old and have been having issues with not being able to go to the bathroom for 2 years now. Sometimes it is 2 weeks before I have a BM.  It seems like it was off and on over the last 2 years but over the last few months it has gotten worse and I really don't understand why because I've started eating healthier (fresh fruits, salads, tons of water etc etc)  

Seems like nothing will help me go. (I've tried everything from Miralax to stool softeners to enemas to laxitives) One time I hadn't gone in 2 weeks and thought an enema would help but it did NOTHING!

I do want to add that I do not take any remedites consistently or constantly. I'm not hooked on laxitives or anything else. I just use it when all else fails and I am desperate.

About 2 weeks ago I tried magnesium citrate because someone told me how effective it is but after a full 24 hours and no BM I then took a laxitive. That night I was up with excruciating stomach pain and nausea. The next morning I still couldn't go so I then tried a suppository. I was only able to go a small amount. With that said, since I only went a little and it had been a while since I had my last complete BM I finally went to my family doctor Thursday. She was pretty concerned about a possible obstruction and ordered an X-Ray and labs and the X-Ray showed moderate stool retention (luckily no obstruction) She said I was "full from top to bottom". Thursday night I tried a mineral oil enema and when that didn't work I tried a suppository and that too did not work. I then drank 3/4 bottle of magnesium citrate and that also did nothing. My doctor prescribed Lactulose which I started taking Friday night and am taking 1 TBS three times a day and here it is Sunday and I have only gone a tiny amount. (By tiny amount I mean that when I try to go only a tiny little bit comes out like a pebble)

Does anyone have any remedies to suggest? If I can't go soon my doc said that I'll have to go to the ER to have them manually get it out and I do not want to endure that!  :-)

I called a GI doc a few weeks ago but he can't get me in until the middle of March. I know something has to be causing this and I am starting to panic a little.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

I had the same kind of problems you had Jenny for about 7 years. No matter what the Doctor gave me, it would take days for me to be able to go to the bathroom. I also looked like I was about 9 month pregnant. I decided to go to UofM; since I heard their Gastroenterology Department was excellent. I had a lot of testing done there. These were not even tests that the other doctor had heard of. They found they I had a very large distention in my large colon and slow transit time. After much discussion my new Doctor and Surgeon suggested a Total Colectomy. I had mine done In October and I am so glad that I did. They were able to do it laproscopically and I didn't require a stoma. She hooked up my small intestine right to my rectum. I'm still getting used to what foods I can and cannot eat, but it is so nice not to be so miserable and bloated. It was the right choice for me.

I'm so happy to hear that you don't have to endure that any longer!!!

I'm finding that these symptoms are starting to consume my life and make me miserable constanly. I ended up going to the ER last night and had another X-Ray and basically am still "full" but they just prescribed lactulose and sent me on my way. I would have thought they would have done a CT scan or something given the fact that I am miserable, nauseated and have had other symptoms to suggest that something could be in the way in there. I explained that I was prescribed lactulose 1 tbs three times a day 2 1/2 weeks ago and it finally kicked in a little after 3 or 4 days and they didn't even pay any attention and the nurse discharging me gave me a dose and asked how far away I lived because it was going to kick in quick and cause exploding diarrhea. I wanted to claw her eyes out. I said....NOT FOR ME!! I JUST TOLD YOU THAT IT TOOK 3 TABLESPOONS DAILY FOR 3-4 DAYS RECENTLY and I still only went a little!!!! They prescribed 1 tbs once daily  eh

I'm ready to throw in the towel. The only thing the ER doc said that made sense was that maybe my intestines were not contracting like they should which is why nothing is moving through. (slow transit time as you were told). I can't wait until my apt with the GI doc this Wednesday!! I am praying I leave that apt with confidence that he will help me! I have so many things going through my mind right now!

where is exactly is this gastrology department at, and in what state. I am willing to travel almost anywhere that i can afford, i need to have a little hope that i am being listened to and taken seriously.