I asked my doctor to give me lexapro instead of valium for anxiety wich he did. the lexapro actually give me energy and i take it when i want to get stuff done around the douse or i start yelling at my kids from the anxiety. I was taking them everyday and after about 3 weeks started feeling over medicated almost zombie just basically way too passive. Now i take a 1/4 pill of 20 mg, every other day or as wanted really. Any one elso have a nything to say. If i dont take anything i CANT get off the couch , put on make up, or even brush my hair. But with the pill i feel almost high - happy ya know. Is that what it feels like to be normal? I almost feel guilty like a dope fiend gettingf a fix

you say u cant function normally without the lexapro but feel guilty for being happy and productive while taking lexapro, i think if it makes that big if a difference it seems to be the thing for u, life is too short to be miserable and depressed and whatever it takes to make life happy i am all for.

shoniefrog wrote:

Is that really from lexapro? I've read that to have any effect you have to take it for at least a week (every day)?I would love to take it just when I feel like it but since I started already(2 weeks) I'm affraid to quit and than experiment with taking a pill "now and then".
Any help/comments?

As far as I know it would be from Lexapro but then you do have to take it every day to get an effect. You can't just take it for a bit then quit it, because it has to regulate a steady flow of hormones in your head. Does that make sense?

I have been taking 5mg (half a 10mg pill) of Lexapro for a couple of years. These have been the best years of my life. The only years I've made any real sense of. Everything prior to Lexapro felt like a nightmare, and I toyed with suicide daily. I even have happy childhood memories surfacing now, that I didnt know existed. Prior to this I had triuble remembering school.
It saved my marriage. Because I stress less, cry less, and sleep better, my skin, hair and nails are healthier. Less wrinkles. All a result of not feeling out of control.
The first 2 weeks were revolting. Nausea, swollen throat, fuzzy head, flatulence. Then one day, I just woke up, put my sneakers on, walked out the door and down to the local park, and went for a RUN. It was, quite simply, a breakthrough. From there my marriage took on a new perspective, my career turned around, and I socialised like every other "normal" woman I used to be so envious of. It all started feeling so good, and easy. And I too thought, is this what normal people feel, every day? Is it really ok for me to be this happy? To enjoy LIFE?
Of course it is! Lexapro was a perfect fit for me. It was also the first medication I ever tried. I have a wonderful GP.
I have now done further research into pregnancy and Lexapro, and have decided without a shadow of a doubt that I will continue taking Lexapro if and when we decide to have children.
Of all the advice I sought, the very best was from a Family Planning Clinic specialist. Her knowledge of Lexapro was broad, and her findings recent. She said that the worst thing would be to get pregnant, then stop Lexapro if you simply feel you can't function without it. Studies show that stress to the infant IN the womb, such as insomnia, anger, anxiety, lethargy etc, can cause disfunction later in life. More imortant than the effect the drug may or may not have on the unborn baby, is the effect the mother's behaviour will have on the unborn baby, in a mentally ill state. Also, some women found that being pregant and stopping Lexapro left them with even LESS will to live than ever before - as though their tanks are just suddenly empty yet they have to go and run a marathon.
The thing is I am loving life so much with just my husband, that I dont know if we ever will have children anyway!
Lastly, I always take it at night with dinner. And alcohol is fine for me, with food, but max 2 drinks or I bloat up and then lose control.

Lexapro does have that effect and it has continued to have that effect on me although I am no longer losing weight- I've been taking it for a couple of years, though. I recently had my dose increased to 15 mg.

I have taken lexapro off and on for years. The reason i can't take any medicine is because I am too spastic to remember to take a pill everyday, but I have had this same reaction. Even the first day I take lexapro in over a year I feel somewhat of a stimulant effect as if I were on adderal but much much less stimulative. I don't know why this happens, but I do enjoy the results, and as a week or so goes by of taking the pill everyday it wears down and a single pill hardly gives me any effect

So happy you posted this!!! DITTO DITTO!!! Please tell more. I want to start this and feel better and keep excercising. Do you still feel great?

I wanted to share this because reading these posts absolutely helped me.  I am a successful businessman.  I have been able to somewhat deal with anxiety which I have lived with the past 20 years.  With the passing of my brother, it pushed me over the edge and I couldn't control it any longer.  I honestly thought that my time had come.  I went to my doctor and was almost embarrassed to explain my situation to him but was so desparate for help, I told him and asked for help.  He prescribed Lexapro(10mg) with an emergency prescription of Xanac when necessary.  When I began taking Lexapro(generic), I was told that it works gradually.  The first couple of days, I was popping the Xanac.  Within about a week, I didn't need the Xanac.  After (4) weeks later, the difference is amazing!  Give it time to work!  When it does, you will have a very positive outlook, energetic, and yes weight loss.  

I too have had the same experiences look like the pro. I am so grateful that I finally decided to take it after a period of being too afraid. I was just functional before and this is the first medication that I've ever been on as well. I'm so grateful for this drug

I have only been taking half a pill (10mg split so 5 mg) for about three days and wow what a difference! I have more energy, way happier and after my weight gain from prestiq I know this will help me shed pounds! It's def a good fit for me :) each day only gets better!

I was prescribed this last summer, but like you I was afraid to take it. I was afraid of the side effects. Maybe I should give it a try.

I am grateful for all this info I have suffered from PTSD for years and have been taking Xanax for about twenty years. I get my meds from express scripts and it was with my meds. My doctor had never talked to me about it but I have an appointment with him tomorrow it sounds like lexapro is the answer to my prayers. Thanks for all the info on here.

I Have been taking lexapro now for a week going on two and i was wondering when am i going to get my energy back? I Havent felt like doing anything for years it seems , i take10 mg.

I'm on day 10 and I am wondering the same.. one minute I have energy and other days I'm just sleepy ALL the time!! I started with 5mg and started 10mg on day 7, so I'm hoping a few more days and BAM normal :).
The first few day 1-6 I had anxiety symptoms but my body started adjusting. Now I'm just fighting for energy. Waiting..