Hello, folks. My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He was well until few months ago. He was discovered with bone metastases. I am not sure what we can expect. What is life expectancy for people with bone metastases? I hope someone will answer my post. Thanks in advance. Bye, folks!

Hi there,

Bone metastasis can really happen anywhere in the body, but in most cases they happen near the center of the body, near the spine, pelvis, ribs or the skull. The fact is that bone metastases are not the same as cancer that begins in the bone, because bone metastases can only happen when you already have a cancer on other part of your body. Life expectancy is not very good in this case, because cancer has already spread from one organ to another and you will need a strong therapy to stop the cancer from progressing. I hope that this helped you in any way and that he will get better.

Best wishes,

Marco

My Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer 8 years ago, but, it went dormant until 2 months ago when he was told that it had spread to his 7th & 8th ribs and was told that he had up to 2 years. But, today he just got the results of his recent Bone Scan and was told that it has now spread to the bone in 2 places and is now being told that he has 6 months +/-. So, I guess you never know with cancer.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer that has also spread to my bones. I was diagnosed in 2012 and it is I. My skull, mandible, shoulder, spine, both sides of my rib cage, multiple areas of my pelvis and my left femur bone. It is now 2017 and while the pain is consistent and I have my bad days. I also have good days and take full advantage of them. I have not had Intravenous chemo or even radiation. My oncologist says she wants to save all of my good cells for as long as possible for the fight in the end! For me,so far this plan has worked! I see so many getting chemo and most losing their battle shortly after. So I fee very fortunate that I'm still alive..and my plan is to still be here for many years!! Good luck to your father and I pray he has many,many more years with you and your family!! God bless you all!!
Hoping this gives you some comfort in knowing that it can spread to almost every bone and he can live a good life still. In 2015 I had to go on disability because of my pain, and pain meds and working as a dispatcher for our local sheriff's office wasn't a good idea-in making split decisions with someone else's life in my hands! So best of luck to your father! Hopeful things will look up for him!! ❤️