Hi, guys. My father is 51 years old and he is diagnosed with diabetes type 2. I know that this disease can be well managed, but I would like to know which consequences it leaves. What is life expectancy for this disease? I would really appreciate if you could tell me something more about it.

Hi, there. Diabetes type 2 has a better life expectancy than diabetes type 1. Type 1 can decrease a lifetime for almost 15 years. This number is 5 to 10 years for diabetes type 2. Your father must have a lifestyle change now. He must be on a diet and have a moderate physical activity. I don’t know whether he has medications or not. Consult an expert if you need more details. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello there,

I am so sorry that your father is diagnosed with diabetes type 2 but if you look at the facts this is better than type one and much better than some other more serious conditions. Usually people who suffer from type one have life expectancy shorter for 15 years than usually and with this type only 5 years so if he follows tips his doctor has provided it is going to be almost normal life.

Has he started with lifestyle changes? The faster he starts with his new diet and avoiding heavy physical activity the sooner he will get used to it. Try to help him as much as you can so he can adopt faster.