Hello! My father has been diagnosed a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He was a heavy smoker. He used to cough very often and we knew this was caused by smoking. Few months ago he started to feel breath shortness and we could hear the wheezing sound. My mother and I forced him to see his doctor and he did a spirometric measurement and X-ray. His doctor told him to quit smoking and prescribed some medicines. What is the life expectancy of a patient with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?

Hello! Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is actually a group of diseases which includes chronic bronchitis, emphysema and a range of other lung disorders. They all limit the airflow in the airway that is not fully reversible. You didn’t say which disease was diagnosed in your father. Early diagnosis and prompt treatment is essential for good prognosis. Your father will certainly have improvement in lung function when the treatment starts but you have to know that signs and symptoms will worsen as the disease progresses. The survival is around 10 years if two-thirds of expected lung function was lost by diagnosis.

My father has had COPD and Enphazema for about 20 years. He quit smoking 15 years ago, after he had smoked for 40. In May of 2009 the Dr gave him a test to check his lung capacity and it was 20%. He has gotten ALOT worse over the past month, worse than I've ever seen him. Could anyone tell me how much time he has? He's SO scared...so TIRED...He's my bestfriend in the WHOLE world. It's hard accepting this disease for him...and it's hard for me to watch him struggle everyday. He doesn't understand why there isn't anything the DR's can do for him. Thanks.

I am so sorry to hear about you dad, I don't know how long ago you actually posted this message. I am going through the same thing with my father, and like you am finding it very hard to handle, my father is my hero and can not imagine my world without him in it. I have asked the same questions as you but cant find the answers. Did any come back to you? I hope your father is managing with his condition. I hope you find somecomfort knowing that your not in this alone.

my son has osteosarcoma stage IV  (bone cancer)  after knee replacement and many chemo treatments the cancer spread to his lungs 9 tumors.  that was removed.  after another 4 sets of chemo there is now 10 tumors on his lungs.  on another internet site they say it goes over to pulmonary disease.    oh how hopeless i feel.  he suggested no more chemo or opps.  that my son 17 yrs should rather enjoy his life out of hospital.  what should i expect?  what is the symptons?  is it painfull? 

Dear guest

Please know you and your son are in my prayers. It's impossible to know what you are going through but you are not alone there are many people that care. Please keep us posted with how your son is doing...Val 

Hi,I have shortness of breath and fatigue for the past one year. Just one month back I did spirometry test and it came out as ' abnormal consistent with restrictive impairment" but my chest x ray and blood test is normal. Can anyone tell me what I have to do?

hi my father has copd, i think hes in his final stages, hes been in hospital for 13 weeks all over the christmas period, he came out and has been in 4 times since then, hes in hospital again now, for a chest infection, im finding it hard to cope, and find some comfort in knowing im not alone.....

best advice : always keep a nebulizer and liquid cortico steroid help lot while excerbatiom, i lost my father on 1st excerbation

oh my, for the love of god, the least they can give him palliative care, he mustn't suffer needlessly. i pray he is no longer suffering.
Love, Pixi