Hi, guys. My father has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I don’t know much about this disease. I would like to find out something more about the prognosis. How long is life expectancy for these patients? Can anyone reply to me? I would really appreciate all your replies considering this.

Hello. Type 2 diabetes or non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) affects 90-95% of all the diabetes cases. It usually appears in people who are older than 55. It usually affects people who are obese and physically inactive. Complications are possible. That is life expectancy is 30-50% less than for a person who is not a diabetic. Your father must change his lifestyle. He must be physically active and be careful with his diet. I don’t know if he is recommended which medications to take. I hope I have helped a little. Good luck!

Hi. I appreciate that you have answered to my post. I will definitely talk to my father. He must be careful when it comes to diet and physical activity. He is indeed overweight. I will try to convince him to run by the river. I will keep him company if necessary.