Hi, there. My father is 69 years old and he is diagnosed with alzheimer’s disease. I know how serious this disease is. I would like to find out something more about life expectancy for this disease. Can anyone provide me with more info? I would really appreciate all your help here.

Hello, there. You haven’t mentioned whether your father had similar symptoms before. Alzheimer’s dementia often develops from other forms of dementia. Usual life expectancy after setting the diagnosis is about 4.5 years. It also depends when the disease appears. Some people that are diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease when they were 70, lived after that for almost 10 years. On the other hand, the ones that were 90 years old when they were diagnosed, lived 3 years more. You should consult your father’s neurologist for more details. I hope I have helped little. Bye!

Hi.  My husband was diagnosted with dementia many months ago.  May 27 he was found unconscious, had had a heart attack.  They had to air vac him to St Louis.  He was on life support 2 different times, and now he has ICU SYNDROME (known also aas deleriam).  It is really sad to  sat and watch him.  He never wanted to be like this.  He is 62 yrs. old.  What is the life life expectancy of this and what should we watch for.