Hello, good people. My father has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. It didn’t come as a surplice since he is a long term alcoholic and a smoker. I think that he is not a candidate for surgery. Doctors don’t say much. I would like to know a life expectancy for patients with this type of cancer. Can anyone help?

Hello, i just came across this post, and was curious how your father was doing.. My father just passed away from esophageal cancer last week 5/11/12.. He was diagnosed 7 months ago in oct.2011. He was considered a stage 4 because it had already spread into his liver. He went downhill the last 2 months, losing his appetite and energy. He did chemo for the entire 7 months, and it ripped his body apart. His immune system had stoppped fighting. His white cells were barely detectable. He developed somesort of bacterial infection, that a healthy person would be able to fight no problem, but it got into his blood and we went into septic shock, shutting down his organs. We were never given a life expectancy from his drs. but we thought he could make it at least a year. It was so terrible wayching him go through this, but i take comfort in the fact that he is no longer suffering. I pray for all the people afflicted with this horrible form of cancer.

My dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in May. At the time doctors said he probably had 8 or 9 months. What can we expect? He is having problems swallowing, most times the food seems to get blocked and he has to cough and cough eventually bringing it back up. He is in constant pain. He had another scan last week and we go see doc Friday to get the results. What can we expect? What do the last few months look like?

Hi,my mom was diagnosed with esophageal cancer quite recent and hasn't been able to swallow anything for months now.She is in late stages and is inoperable and chemo is not an option.The Dr's are going to try and shrink the tumour with radiation so she can at least try for an opening to be comfortable enough to get some nutrition as she refuses a feeding tube.They will probably be checking your dad to see if it is anywhere else..windpipe? my mom has it there also.They say from what i understand it is less that 6 months at this point.I don't think it will be that long for my mom but good luck to you and your dad.....

I am sorry to hear this I also have esophacal cancer stage 4 lm hoplng I don't suffer like he did

How are you doing? My father was diagnosed last August. Stage IV.

Hi Peggysue...my father was diagnosed in August, a few months after your dad. My father will be 75 in May. He is a lifetime heavy drinker and smoker. He opted to begin chemotherapy, and started the first week of October. Overall, he held up OK, but in February he spent three weeks in the hospital. The doctors were doubtful he would be able to return home, because he was on 40,000 units of O2. But he did not want to go to a nursing home or rehab, so they tried to wean him off the O2 and surprisingly he did very well. A week later, he was discharged, and hasn't used O2 since. His pulmonologist while in the hospital gave him another 8 weeks. So far, we are at week 6, and he has been doing well. The chemo reduced the size of the lump in his throat, making it much easier to swallow, so he is able to eat to help keep up his strength. He also has a heart issue, so radiation therapy is out of the question for him. I know when we met with the oncologist in Boston at the beginning of his diagnosis, she told him the average life expectancy once diagnosed with Stage IV was one year. Some people make it to 2 years, but others don't make the year. Now, I know my father seems to think the doctor said he had 3-5 years left (I have no idea where he got that from; because both my sister and I heard the Boston oncologist tell him 1 year was the average). I guess perhaps a large part of it is mental, just as much as physical. He has been doing well the last few weeks. I am not sure if he will eventually just take a turn for the worse and go downhill quickly, or if he will end up having a heart attack in his sleep, or whatnot. His sister has been fighting cancer for years, and she was just told she has about one month left...so when she passes, I am not sure if that will cause him to throw in the towel or keep fighting. It's anyone's guess. If your father used chemo and/or radiation, could that help his swallowing issues? Also, he should not be in constant pain. If your father is still alive, and you haven't already, please contact a local hospice organization and/or the VNA. They should be able to medicate him well enough to keep him from feeling pain. Anyway, thinking of you and hoping you are all doing OK. Please let me know how things are going. Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear your Father had such a hard time. My heart goes out to you. My husband was diagnosed with late stage 4 Esophageal Cancer on 3-28-13. He had a G-tube put in in April and started gaining weight so he decided to try Chemo. After 4 treatments given every 21 days, a CT Scan was done and the Cancer was totally gone from the Lymphnoids ,lungs and bones. The tumor in his Esophagus had shrunk some also. We thought there was a chance of prolonging his life for at least a year but unfortunately the the liver was damaged beyond repair and the Chemo just excelerated the damage. The Dr. said he couldn't do anymore for my husband. My husband decided to let Hospice take over his care on 7-1-13, less than a week ago. We were not given any life expectancy either. My husband said he is prepared to meet his Maker and that helps me some, but I don't believe it can totally take away the pain I know is coming. Like you, I pray for all those who are suffering from this type of Cancer and their families. I lost my brother on 2-5-13 after a year long battle with Lung Cancer and my Mother from a long battle with Throat Cancer before that. I just pray my husband will go quickly and not have to suffer through this.

Peggysue, if your dad hasn't yet, please have him get a G-tube in the stomach. It gives them so much nutrition and allows the esophagus to relax. My husband would not be alive now if he hadn't got his. He was literally chocking on a drop of water beforehand. He has gained 15 pounds back of the 40 pounds he had lost in just 8 wks.. Hope all goes well for you. Prayers going up.

Hello I find this post my wife is 35 they find a tumor today, they did a ct today to, told us it's moved to her liver . I'm so scared.. They didn't say the c word just in played it. Mind u she was at the doc over a month ago waited for the call to see other doc. She can't eat anything. Any idea.....

Hi Tammy, I am sorry to hear about your mum. My father was recently diagnosed, stage 4 and its spread to liver and spine. He also is too weak for chemo and lost over 20 kilos. A stent has been fitted to help him swallow, but only soft food still. They have offered radiotherapy to reduce the pain (he is in agony all the time). How long do you think he has? I keep trying to be positive but its not looking good.

Hi guest ... How's your father? My partner in life for 13 years was diagnosed stage 4 esophageal cancer spread to liver last March 20, 2017... His dr put a stent in order for him to swallow food.. But his under observation now if his oncologist will proceed to chemo because he is jaundice ...my heart is ripping apart every time his in pain ... But since yesterday the pain management doctor gave him pain killer which can help him a lot not to fell the pain.

My mum was diagnosed with esophageal cancer a year ago. Surgery isn't an option and the treatment doesn't seemed to have worked. She is like 4.5 stone I think and in pain all the time. The doctors aren't saying anything really. I don't know if it's spread or how long she has so I can at least prepare myself. It's heartbreaking and I feel lost. All research I have done says she has 3 months to 5 years but the latter seems v unlikely.

Hi all, so saddened to hear of your loved ones diagnoses.
My mum too has been diagnosed in January 2017, this year, with throat cancer.
After having issues swallowing and keeping food down and with 2 x throat stretchings to cope with that over the past 3-4 years, the frustrating part is no biopsy appears to have been done either time and she was a smoker. Seems like a logical thing to me, that a biopsy be necessary and maybe have found and dealt with the cancer earlier!
Anyway in January, she had lost so much weight, down to 29.8kg at that time and needed a feeding tube inserted, which she still has.
She went thru 5 weeks radiation therapy which ultimately has done no good. Mums' tests in recent weeks indicate the cancer is in her liver now too and sadly her life expectancy today is only a matter of up to a couple more weeks....
My employer has been very accomodating, allowing me to work from home afternoon/ evenings so I can spend a few hours with her each morning.
The coming weeks will be immensely difficult for both of us, for very different reasons, I only hope Mum will have some pleasure in my company and I will have memory of some last moments shared with her.

My brother who was 51 years old when diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal Adenocarcinoma. He was diagnosed 08/30/16, had a PEG tube placed for nutrition and started chemo shortly there after. It will be a year next week that he was diagnosed and I am glad to say that he is doing remarkable well!! All tumors have disappeared or just have residual tumor. But tumors continue to pop up. All in all, chemo hasn't been bad and he continues to work! I pray for healing for everyone afflicted by this horrible disease!!!