Hi! I am a 25 years old female who has just started a serious relationship. As I am trying to build a carrier as well, a baby wouldn’t be such a good option for the time being. I can’t use BC pills bc I am never at home at the same time, and if I have a lot of work to do, I may as well forget to take it. My friend recommended mirena coil, an IUC. The thing is that I don’t know how it really works. IS there anybody who can explain this to me in a few words? Thx!!!!

Mirena coil consists of a plastic T-shaped frame and the stem of the T has a tiny reservoir containing 52mg of a progesterone hormone called levonorgestrel. When fitted, about 20 micrograms/day are delivered to the endometrium. Mirena is licensed for five years' use and after this time needs to be removed and replaced. A very small amount of hormone is absorbed into the bloodstream, but much less than the progestogen-only pill (POP), and rarely leads to side effects. What I likeabout mirena is that it is not just a contraceptive to me, but it makes my period much lighter and less painful. You have to be careful as it may happen that it comes out at the beginning. Unfortunately, there are no signs that it is out, so you would have to check the threads once in a while.

i had this coil fitted after i had my daughter who is 3 this august. When they fitted it i was in the middle of a very heavy period it was fitted at 10am by 2pm all bleeding had stopped and since then i dont have any periods at all. Maybe every 5-6 months i will have a tiny bit of spotting (not even enough to warrent a towel or tampon) then thats it for next 5-6months.

Another plus with this is the chances of getting pregnant with a condom is 1/1000 with this coil your chances are 1/2000 so it is one of the most effective contraception on the market and lets face it what woman wouldnt love 5 years of no periods and when you take it out if you decide to have children your fertility returns to normal within 48 hours :-)

The Mirena works by causing cervical mucous to thicken and makes the uterus inhospitable for fertilization. YOU may still ovulate, as 45% of women still ovulate at 1 year... But chances are slim you will fertilize an egg. The copper IUD works by killing sperm(copper kills it) and also by making the uterus inhospitable environment.